Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I just picked up a 2007 zx6. It's my first NEW bike. My question is should I take it easy to break it in? I have heard both take it easy, and drive it hard so I'm not sure what to do. Also, the manual says take it easy for the first 1600km's but the salesman at the dealer told me there is some sort of govener that won't allow you to drive the bike hard until it reaches a certin amount of km's. Anyway, not sure whats best so ur help would be great.

·
Registered
184 Posts
And the manual is set up so they can't be held liable.
If you crash your new bike, because your unfamilar with it during break in.
Thats a major reason why they hold you at lower rpms,during break in.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
go easy for like 500 miles, let the bike warm up everytime, try not to go over 6k rpms, then after the inital service check do as u please. Dont beat it, ride it as u would ride it normally.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did what splintercell said, vary rpm's a lot through all gears, kept pretty much within the 6k max. range with a couple of ventures slightly higher here & there - no problems :smile

Have read so much stuff on both hard & soft break in so who knows for sure. Never read anything about anyone blowing their motor though no matter how they broke in :headscratch
Probably like glockt says - they just don't want you to kill yourself day one from gettin in too deep on a new ride.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've read on several places that the seals they use for the pistons these days don't require all this soft break-in stuff to set anymore but I guess it's always better to be safe than sorry. And like meenie said, I've never even heard of anyone blowing a motor or anything else because they took it up too high in the rpms early.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I started running mine hard the day I got it. It's all in what you believe, but it makes sense that it takes cylinder pressure to press the rings out against the cylinders and make them seat. I didn't take it to 15K and hold it there, but some brief stints at full throttle within the first 20 miles is the best thing you can do for the bike............IMO.

BTW, I now have 600 miles on my 06 636, and it runs neck and neck with my buddies 07 GSXR 750 that was broken in strictly by the book. Does my bike run stronger because I seated the rings hard when it was new?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I say take it out of the lot and jerk the front tire off the ground. I babied my zx10 when it was new until the first service and my friend didn't. We had them dynoed and his made +3hp over mine???? I say the break-in stuff is bull, but i'm not one to argue. If you're comfortable ridin it, ride it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I say take it out of the lot and jerk the front tire off the ground. I babied my zx10 when it was new until the first service and my friend didn't. We had them dynoed and his made +3hp over mine???? I say the break-in stuff is bull, but i'm not one to argue. If you're comfortable ridin it, ride it.
WHAT HE SAID:crazyloco

1 - 11 of 11 Posts