Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having brake problems for the couple of months. It got to the point that no matter how hard I squeezedmy bike would not stop quickly. The faster the bike was going the harder it would be to feel anything from the brakes. I ended up bleeding the system and it has helped but I know that it is still bad. I will try to rebleed the system again and make 100% sure that there is no air in the lines. I am thinking that I will have to take the calipers apart and clean everything.Any suggestions? Should I do a rebuild?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Make sure you still have some pads left in there too lol, but I think you have it covered. Make sure nothing is leaking.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Make sure you still have some pads left in there too lol, but I think you have it covered. Make sure nothing is leaking.
You might want to look at changing to softer brake pads and/or braided lines to replace your original brake lines.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
assuming the pads didnt change and this is a recent development, I wouldn't think softer pads are in order.

A line bulging out could very well be it though too, didn't think of that.

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
assuming the pads didnt change and this is a recent development, I wouldn't think softer pads are in order.

A line bulging out could very well be it though too, didn't think of that.
I don't know how old the pads on his bike are. They might be original. They might be new. If they're original pads then the age alone would be a reason to change them.If they're a stock replacement pad but relatively new,then they may just be too hard a compound. That's why I suggested the softer pads (like a sprint race compound).I am assuming that this is a recent thing since winter is recently finished and I figure the bike sat all winter and now this has come about since he started riding this year. But there are MANY assumptions here since I don't have al the info needed to give educated and intelligent advice on this matter.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have had the bike for about 10 months. I replaced the pads about 2 months ago because I felt that it was getting worse. New pads did not do anything. I am thinking it has something to do with either the master cylinder or the callipers themselves.

Our of curiosity, are there any new callipers that would bolt right in from another bike?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
i have had the bike for about 10 months. I replaced the pads about 2 months ago because I felt that it was getting worse. New pads did not do anything. I am thinking it has something to do with either the master cylinder or the callipers themselves.

Our of curiosity, are there any new callipers that would bolt right in from another bike?

Thanks
Anything that fits a 7/8th bar should just slap right on, but there isnt a problem with these brakes in proper, stock form.

They are sure not any fancy radial master or anything, but they work well enough to get the back wheel up in the air which is more than you should ever need.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
check the bleed on the master cylinder. i had a huge amount of air get locked in there and no matter how much you bleed it out the bottom, you won't get it out

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anything that fits a 7/8th bar should just slap right on, but there isnt a problem with these brakes in proper, stock form.

They are sure not any fancy radial master or anything, but they work well enough to get the back wheel up in the air which is more than you should ever need.
There is no way that I could get my rear wheel in the air with my brakes the way they are.

I am looking for new calipers if I switched something out.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I am saying thats how they are if they are working right.

Fresh fluid altogether and a rebuild kit should be more than enough, but there are a few swaps available that I don't know anything about if you insist on buying all new stuff.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
check the bleed on the master cylinder. I had a huge amount of air get locked in there and no matter how much you bleed it out the bottom, you won't get it out
+1

·
Registered
919 Posts
how do you check the bleed on the master? i can only bleed from the brake.
Loosen the the fitting coming right out of the lever. Make sure to keep the master cylinder full of fluid. Be patient and pump it many times to expel all air. Careful not to get any fluid on your paint. I just went through a similar situation after I had to remove my front calipers.

·
Registered
573 Posts
interesting.. i've been having issues since i replaced the cables. The handlebar is a bit spoungy and can go right to the bar in the first 3 positions. I'll try this out. thanks.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I never thought about bleeding at the master. I will try that out. If I wanted to get a rebuild kit would it be for the calipers or the master?

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
either one

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
An 05 R6 Brembo radial master is a direct swap for our 7's. I do know that. And they have a bleed nipple on the master.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Another thing to check when you have the calipers apart while cleaning, is check to see if the pistons are operating properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com App

1 - 20 of 28 Posts