Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My front brake pads are squealling and wistling. They are still good and completely in spec. Nothing is wrong other than the noise. It only happens when I am in light braking. This year the fog is a little thicker than normal. I have heard that taking a wire brush to the pads will help get any road dust and/or dirt out of the pads. I am a year around rider and can't just put the bike away for the winter. Just looking for other fixes besides replacing the pads and the wire brush.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Mine started that just a very light squeak as they are almost worn out though didn't do it before that and hope they wont after replacement either but sometimes it is the material they are made of my riding partner put new aftermarket pads on his 12r and they squeak terribly. you might try putting a small amount of silicone like a bead across the back of the pads to absorb the vibration or deaden it. just make sure it's not in a place to prevent proper pad movement.

·
Premium Member
13,143 Posts
When I change brake pads, I always grease the back sides of the pads, the outer edges of the caliper pistons and the rods on which the pads hang. Squeaking and squealing is caused by a vibration from the slip-and-grip sequence of the pads alternatively biting and releasing and the grease tends to both damp the vibration and keep things operating smoothly. I never have a problem with brake noise. Be sure to use actual brake grease, it can be purchased in small packets at any auto parts store. One packet is normally more than enough to do the pads, pistons and pins in one caliper.

·
Registered
194 Posts
mine started to squeak on mine and I took the pads out and they had a mirror finish to them took some heavy sand paper took the mirror finish off them and that stopped my frist squeak but they started to do it again but with 10 inches of snow on the ground I haven't had time to see if the rotors need a good cleaning or wrapped

·
Registered
118 Posts
i find mine start squealin after lots of stop and go, light braking. if i just do a couple hard stops from higher speeds they then shut up again for a while.

prob just a glaze getting formed i'm guessing

·
Administrator
58,598 Posts
As Hammer said, brake pad squealing is caused by a high pitched vibration of the pads. Most likely your pads are square on the edges. Pull the pads off and put a slight chamfer on the edges and squeal b gone.

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
:crackup....In "slow",out,"fast"--totally eliminates brake squeal!:lol:rofl

·
Registered
1 Posts
:crackup....In "slow",out,"fast"--totally eliminates brake squeal!:lol:rofl
Mine must be really messed up then :rolleyes:. Cause when I am riding that bitch she is SCREAMING 🤪 when ever put it in slow and pull out fast. Maybe I just need to put it in fast and pull out slow and see if she SQUEEKS . I hear that to much screaming is bad for your ears ....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts