Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to remove both my front calipers to change out the brake pads on my 93 ZX7. Now the brake lever goes all the way to the bar and has no pressure. I tried pumping it and bleeding to no avail. Any ideas on how re pressurize the system.

·
Registered
3 Posts
keep bleeding it, it only takes a small amount of air to loose the presure. the piston on a motorcycle is so much smaller then that of a car.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
Pull one of the calipers and pump the brake lever. See if the caliper pistons move outward (towards the center) with each compression.

·
Registered
9,979 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-bleeder-and-vacuum-pump-kit-92474.html

And that is one of the nicer units. You can buy plastic ones for 10 bucks less.

Worth every penny, especially on bikes with hydraulic clutches. Buy that. If you can find a friend you can flush your lines from to to bottom in under 5 minutes. If you do it alone, maybe 15 minutes if you don't know what you are doing.

Just keep an eye on the reservoir and never let it suck air, otherwise you have to start over.

Some of those can also be used to backflush the lines, literally filling them from the bottom up. You just flip a lever and it pressurizes the canister instead. Fill it with clean fluid, and push it up until the reservoir is full. This works amazingly well when installing new lines, or after putting the stuff back on the bike after removal.

·
Registered
925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:headscratch

a. They are not moving at all
b. No they are all moving
Sorry I meant to say A.

UPDATE I finally got it to pressurize after a LOT of pumping/bleeding. Will definitely get a bleeder for next time, what a dirty job. Now just have to test ride it to make sure everything is ok.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
Did you bleed the master cylinder first, assuming there's a bleeder valve on yours?
It takes awhile to get fluid everywhere. A vacuum pump/bleeder helps a lot.
Sorry I meant to say A.

UPDATE I finally got it to pressurize after a LOT of pumping/bleeding. Will definitely get a bleeder for next time, what a dirty job. Now just have to test ride it to make sure everything is ok.
:rolleyes

·
Registered
28 Posts
go to advanced auto parts and get their Powerbuilt vaccum/pressure pump in their "loan a tool" program, it comes with all the attachments to bleed your caliper, $60 bucks upfront, you get that back when you turn it in... it's take forever and a day to to it the ol' manual way...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts