Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, a buddy needs help bleeding the brakes on his 06 636. his brakes dont just need bleed a little, they have no pressure at all. what is the best way to get started, i havented looked at it yet, but do the brakes on this bike have bleed screws top and bottom? do you use both? i'm a veteran at bleeding car brakes and go karts, but the motorcycle brakes are new to me, dont want to lead him down the wrong path. we dont have a bleeder pump or anything, so any help/ advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

-jeff

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
If you don't have ma Mityvac pump to suck fluid from the caliper's bleeder, another option is to inject some with a large syringe into the bleeders. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Oh and there's also the "speed bleeders" option. They have a ball inside that make them working only in the right direction. Prices on the pic below are in CDN $.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so i need a new fitting?! i cant just fill the resoviour and pump it up, then loosen the bleed screw?

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
...i cant just fill the resoviour and pump it up, then loosen the bleed screw?
Yes, of course you can do it that way with the actual bleeders. The speed bleeders I posted about are just another option that make bleeding the brakes easier. Actual OEM bleeders requires :
1- Build pressure by pumpin lever
2- Hold brake lever
3- Open OEM bleeder
4- torque back OEM bleeder
1- ...
2- ...
3- ...
4- ... etc...

With speed bleeders, you just open it and pump the lever until the reservoir is almost (but not) empty. The spring loaded ball inside make it a one way valve so oil can espace but air can not enter. Same way of bleeding calipers but just easier.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok well we are playing w/ the bike now, and the lever goes right to the bars, i built up a small bit of pressure and bled it now it wont build pressure back up. could there be a problem w/ the master cylinder? should i bleed from the bleed screw at the handlebars as well? thanks alot.

jeff

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
When you bleed the "old school way", the pressure do not always build up in the beginning. You have pump the lever and release the bleeder anyway. There's not a lot going out (if any) but you must continue. There could be many strokes where nothing comes out but if you are perseverant enough, you should succeed. Continue until they are hard and you should be OK. It sometimes happened to me like described above but all finally ended up OK.

Oh and a little tip. Once the brakes are correclty bled and the lever is hard, apply pressure to the lever overnight (I use a rag and duct tape). That way, some air bubbles trapped just under the first banjo bolt (the one on the master cylinder) could find their way to the cylinder and help furthermore.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for all the help everyone, i just help think something is really wrong, ive bled plenty of brakes the old school way, even from brand new w/ no fluid and they didnt act like this. no pressure at all builds and the fluid does not flow into the lines, the res. just sits full and i tried just pumping them up a lot and then bleeding even w/ minimal pressure and still nothing. could there be a problem w/ the master cylinder not building pressure? i just dont know what to do to this thing. i've played w/ it a few times and nothing is improving. thanks again.

jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts