Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

BMC, K&N, or Stock filters

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking into gettin a pipe this year(micron ultralight, 240mm) and most guys say if you get a slip on, you should get an aftermarket air filter. But the shop I worked at, most of the techs said they've seen alot of problems with the aftermarket air filters (K&N mostly) and that stock works just as well. I've seen dyno's where a K&N has actually made a drop in HP...Any input is great! Thanks guys:smile

·
Registered
81 Posts
I HATE K&N filters.
But I LOVE UNI-Filters Oiled Foam air Filters.
Oiled foam breathes well and unlike a gauze filter, dirt has to pass thru the 'swiss cheese' oiled air passages before it get into your engine.
Dirt Cant and wont make it thru the Labyrinth for twists and turns in a UNI-Filter brand Foam Air filter. Available as a O.E.M. replacement .
Your also gonna need a PC111, to fool the computer on your injection system

·
Banned
2 Posts
as a former Kawasaki factory race team tech..........I have to tell you........we used the stock filters.

Kawasaki has the absolute best stock filter on the market. It Flows just as much air as a gauze filter and can trap just as much dirt.

Paper filters are the only ones I see that can be replaced by aftermarket ones and make more power.

In fact........the old R6 (98-02) would lose 5-10 hp by using an aftermarket.......it wouldnt seal or something the way a stocker would. You would have to richen the bike up so much that it lost its linear torque curve.

Id never spend the money on an aftermarket for a kaw..............and Im a BMC using mofo on customers stuff that can use it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I run the stocker filter. And curently making my own custom slip-on out of a modified stock muffler. The euro jumper mod rocks. Soon to gut the cat and wrap the whole exhaust when I am finished with the can.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I run the stocker filter. And curently making my own custom slip-on out of a modified stock muffler. The euro jumper mod rocks. Soon to gut the cat and wrap the whole exhaust when I am finished with the can.
To modify the stock exhaust do you have to cut into it or does it unbolt appart? As far as the cat and exhaust wrap go, do you have any links or pics where i could see what you mean. wouldn't mind check that out cuz it seems like a neat idea but would it be worth it hacking up your exhaust??

·
Registered
17 Posts
You can gut the cat without cutting. If you take the headers off you can smash the shit out of the cat with a screwdriver. Take it off and look - it look pretty easy to me though i havn't done it yet. There is a guide on Kawiforums.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts