Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, so what's the black box that sits right under the seat? has a wire bundle going into it? I tried to start my '98 and all it did was a bunch of clicking from that box and the RPMs when up on the needle while I held the starter. I thought the sound was coming from a starter relay but the relay sits down by the battery and I'm certain that the noise is from the box, you can feel it when you put you hand on it also. Is this a known issue? Easy fix? or a new whatever it is? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
According to a parts diagram it's the "Igniter" Part #21119A

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Yep, controls your spark, leave it alone! Odds are you will never have to concern yourself about it....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So it's working the way it should and something else isn't? The bike wont even turn over, just clicks at the box. Guess I'll dig into some fuses, starter relay and then the starter

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Claude had that same problem with his ZX11.. NEVER found the problem after swapping out numerous parts. MY ZX11 is now parked for the same reason. That and some recent health concerns which are now past me.

New solenoid didnt work
New ignitor didnt work
New Starter switch didnt work
New fuse box didnt work
New key switch didnt work

You can jump the solenoid and bike spins like a top Hit starter switch and click click NADA!! Voltage to fuse box has been recorded @ 9 volts I believe.

I think the issue is in the safety switches. Clutch lock out & Kick stand switch. By pass them When I tore apart my Clutch switch I got it to work.. momentarily....

·
Registered
112 Posts
If it's just clicking but not turning over, then it's probably a battery/charge issue. If ti was the kickstand or clutch lever lockout switches, then it wouldn't do anything at all when you hit the starter button.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Blainethemono, that's not real encouraging. I've only had the bike for a couple of months and before when it would do this I would just let off the starter button, turn the ignition key of and back on, hit it again and it would fire right up.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Blainethemono, that's not real encouraging. I've only had the bike for a couple of months and before when it would do this I would just let off the starter button, turn the ignition key of and back on, hit it again and it would fire right up.
Hay, I hear ya...... Ive had that pleasure for the last 10 years and 40,000 miles. Its been 14 months since my ZX11 ran....... However, money position is now good, summer is coming, I got my shoulder fixed 2 months ago...this year I am getting that thing running, so if you want to come along for the ride... we can use this thread. Ill post here what ever I find, but Claude has EXTENSIVE notes on a thread out there, hell 1/4 of the stuff he was selling were brand new parts he bought trying to figure WTF was wrong. I think he just built a by pass switch. Somebody search it put and post the link here.. Lot of valuable info in that thread, so we dont have to rehash the same old stuff.

This I do know, when I tore my clutch assembly apart and cleaned it, the starter button worked for a lil bit of time, so thats why Im leaning towards these suspects. My bike has close to 70,000 miles on her, and Ive had some interesting issues, that seem model specific. so it doesnt surprise me if this issue is like the clutch spring chatter fix, where its going to eventually happen, like changing the tires.... or the starter button coming apart in your hand, the bike wont stop turning over, while u are getting ready to board a Ferry... Uh, missed that Ferry, battery went dead.....😁 a story for another time perhaps....Hmmmm, an idea, perhaps the entire control housing assembly is worn out after how many thousand button pushes &/or 25 years?

If Im not mistaken, that lil pig tail plugs into the Clutch Master cylinder. This assembly could be worn/corroded, and the clutch lock out is keeping the bike from spinning due to a voltage drop.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I had some problems with mine as well. Drives ya crazy, switched igniter and also the pickup coil with no change. Check the clearance on the pickup coil too just to rule that out.
Resistance at connections was my problem. Would turn over but no spark. Clean all your connections underneath the tank and back at the 30 amp fuse by your starter solenoid. Double check ground connections too.
But not turning over is a battery or starter solenoid issue.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Hope this may help on something...

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
I had some problems with mine as well. Drives ya crazy, switched igniter and also the pickup coil with no change. Check the clearance on the pickup coil too just to rule that out.
Resistance at connections was my problem. Would turn over but no spark. Clean all your connections underneath the tank and back at the 30 amp fuse by your starter solenoid. Double check ground connections too.
But not turning over is a battery or starter solenoid issue.
Well, if battery and solenoid have been replaced/checked thats a non starter. 1st thing Claude and I looked @..... Solenoid/Fuse box doesnt seem to get full 12volts. When I said 9 volts at the fuse box, I meant somebody has already been there, dont that. 9 volts is not going to make the solenoid click, so the issue is somewhere up the food chain.....Ive jumped the solenoid on my bike and starter spins like a top. Green plug under gas tank is where u check voltage from the key switch, but CLUTCH LOCK OUT stops EVERYTHING..... just as the kick stand safety switch kills the engine when u try and ride away with kick stand down. Neutral safety switch can do that too. If engine thinks its still in gear, Guess What? Engine wont turn over.

Sounds like you managed to fix your particular issue, so any info on this is golden. 👍

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, if battery and solenoid have been replaced/checked thats a non starter. 1st thing Claude and I looked @..... Solenoid/Fuse box doesnt seem to get full 12volts. When I said 9 volts at the fuse box, I meant somebody has already been there, dont that. 9 volts is not going to make the solenoid click, so the issue is somewhere up the food chain.....Ive jumped the solenoid on my bike and starter spins like a top. Green plug under gas tank is where u check voltage from the key switch, but CLUTCH LOCK OUT stops EVERYTHING..... just as the kick stand safety switch kills the engine when u try and ride away with kick stand down. Neutral safety switch can do that too. If engine thinks its still in gear, Guess What? Engine wont turn over.

Sounds like you managed to fix your particular issue, so any info on this is golden. 👍
Hello everyone, I have the same issue. I also replaced a lot of stuff. I also have the voltage drop. I had to start it by turning key on, power switch, jumping the solenoid ( so the starter spins over) and at the same timing hitting the starter button. But the simple fix was the voltage drop. I remember I had installed HID lights. I simply unplugged one of my dual lights that I had wired to come on all the time and it starts now with the regular starter button. I also have no voltage drop.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out to the garage yesterday and it fired right up. I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Geez this forum changed since the last time I cam here! I do not recognize it at all...
I do not ride a ZX11 anymore (since 2 years now...) and that's why I do not visit the place anymore.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Regarding the clicking noise the original poster wrote about, this is the absolutely worst problem I got on my '97 D model. I finally solved it but it took about 2-3 years to do so...

From memory, the cause was (stolen words from Blaine's #12 post above): "9 volts is not going to make the solenoid click, so the issue is somewhere up the food chain".
I had to clean ALL and EVERY contacts in the "food chain" to get a slightly stronger voltage at the solenoid. This period bring back very frustarting moments...

In case it could help, I'll try to post some pictures below of some electrical setups I made in order to find the cause and to bring a strong 12V at the solenoid. Setup 2 will do the thing and the other ones, were experimentaion in the process of finding the root of the cause. If you are happy with setup 2, just do it (very simple to do with quite basics electrical knowledge) and leave it alone.

NOTE for Blaine: those are the pics I just wrote you about. I looked for them during 2 days only to find them only 30 seconds after I wrote you...

Hope this helps! The ZX11 is a great bike but I now prefer my actual ride (2017 Versys 1000) for the comfort of my pillion and I.

Starter relay Setup1.jpg

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Way kool Claude. Good to see you again and the Community Thanks You for the documentation!! Awesome you found the pictures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts