Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 1996 zx6r about a month ago it wasn't running real smooth so I had the carbs cleaned and had the plugs changed cost $250.00 at the kawasaki dealership that helped but there was still a soft spot between 4 and 5 thousand rpms so I took it back about 3 days later, they said they wanted to start by replacing the k&n air filter with a stock 1 cost $150.00 still didn't fix it so they said I need to change the stage 3 jet kit with a stage 1 kit cost of kit $115.00 cost of labor $290.00 than didn't fix it either so they said I need new shems and needles cost $120.00 still didn't fix it so they borrowed a used fuel pump to see if that helps. I don't no how a kawasaki dealership cant figure out what is wrong with my bike I am so irritated..... not to mention they cracked my fairing and I had a hard time getting them to fess up to it but they are fixing it no charge this is unbelievable this is my first street bike ever and it has turn in to a big pain in the a** I don't feel like I'm ever going to get my bike back running the way it should, advice and opinions would be appreciated.:banghead

·
Registered
208 Posts
Cut your losses, get your bike TF outta that incompetent, dishonest shop IMMEDIATELY!! Find a place that knows WTF they are doing, that is also honest, and only go to them if ya ain't gonna do it yerself!!

You'll get much better advice and diagnostic advice ON THIS FORUM (especially the forum for your model, at this site btw) than you'll EVER get at that shitty dealership!

Take your bike outta there right away!

Also post up the name and location of that shop so NONE OF US ever fall down that dark alley of a repair shop, okay??

You must look rich $$$ to them 'cause they're bending you over big time; time to face the truth. Don't give 'em a penny more. Get ALL your used/replaced parts, and get your precious bike TF outta there RIGHT NOW!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
the name of the place is daytona fun machines in daytona beach florida. I dont think there trying to rip me off but iIdo think they have a bunch of idiots there that dont know what they are doing and I dont know anyone around here that does, I dont know maybe I should work on it myself. I am mechanically inclined but I dont know anything about these bikes, well a little I just thought it would be less of a hassle to pay a pro.... Man was wrong im still not sure what im going to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
probably just shitty gas, lol try some stabil.

I would try to get your money back for all the shit they charged you that didn't solve the issue. (parts and labor)

If not sue them, if they said it cost xx $$ to fix something and they kept charging you, you got it hard in the rear, with no lube.

good luck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
havnt payed them yet for the shems and needles and the jet kit labor aprox $410.00 so there still trying to figure out whats wrong with it im not paying anything else until I ride it and it is right.

THERE LABOR CHARGE IS $65.00 AN HOUR!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Seems a haphazard way to go about things. Seems like the bike has been modified quite a bit & they were just backtracking those mods instead of setting them up properly.

What exactly do you mean by soft spot? Is it a flat spot in power, missing or what? It may be that you are expecting the engine to pick up cleanly at lower revs when supersports 600's thrive on high revs, which may not be what you are used to in a bike (you don't say what you have ridden before off road). Try to compare with someone with a similar bike.

IMO you need to make sure the basic service stuff is right then work away from there. Check compression, valve clearances, float levels, filters/fuel tank are clean, etc. Get a manual for the bike & work through it all methodically. Only when the basics are right start sorting any modified items. There are guys here that know about mods on these bikes, also talk to the people that produce the jet kits & K&N for more info. Ultimately though you need to find a shop that is competent setting a modified bike with carbs up on a rolling road.

List all mods that the bike has or are intended, it will help with advice from the guys that know.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
List all mods that the bike has or are intended, it will help with advice from the guys that know.[/QUOTE]

Its a 1996 zx6r it has a full hindle exhaust and it had a k&n air filter and a stage 3 jet kit now it has a kawasaki filter and a dyno stage 1 jet kit im not concerned about the slight power loss i just want it to run right.

it not only had a soft spot but it would cut off on me when i would give it gas some times and then take 10 minutes or so to start back could smell fuel seemed like it was flooding out

·
Registered
649 Posts
You've been majorly SCREWED by those jerks!!!!!!!!!! The set up you had originally sounds correct. With the addition of a full exhaust system you can expect to loose just a weeee bit of low end while gaining in the top. Sounds like that mains needed cleaning and adjustment.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Also, any rust in the tank turns to a very fine brown powder that clogs the jets. KREEM the tank if there's any rust AT ALL, do both steps, the stuff works just fine.

Let us guide you here on this board, you'll be ridin' happy in no time! However, I WILL NEVER GO TO DAYTONA FUN MACHINES IN DAYTONA BEACH, FLORIDA, since they are such complete dishonest idiots to rip you off by charging for repAIRS THEY ARE ONLY guessing ON THEMSELVES. THEY ARE IDIOTS AND THEY ARE REPRESENTING THEMSELVES AS PRO'S AND THAT'S DISHONEST TOO.

Is it me, or does this piss anybody else right the [email protected] off like it does me right now? :blob

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yeah mate, it also seem to me they checked you coming and now they rip your nice parts off for themselves and you are paying for it!!!!!!! Make sure you get all the original parts, (filters, jet kit etc.), back from them, if they haven't fitted it on one of their bikes already!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Is it me, or does this piss anybody else right the [email protected] off like it does me right now? :blob[/QUOTE]

Dishonest OR stupid repair shops are very annoying for sure

:banghead :rockets :chainsaw :violent

·
Registered
161 Posts
I know a guy who lives in Deltona FL. from a chopper board I am on. I'll send him this thread and see if he can offer any advice.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I finally got my bike out of the shop they had it for almost 2 months they changed the jet kit, air filter, needles and seats, plugs, adjusted the valves, soaked the gas tank, cleaned and synced the carbs iIthink thats it if I remember correctly. Total bill parts and labor $750.00 now the bike runs great......... for about an hour than it starts flooding I can smell it the mechanic told me when I picked it up it still needs the float valves replaced to stop the flooding is he right or wrong again. pls help:banghead

·
Registered
649 Posts
Demand all of your orginal parts back and stop going to that shop. You've been worked over by these guys.... and they had the bike for 2 months?!?!?!?!? Pretty LAME!!!!!! Haven't you learned yet??????

·
Registered
45 Posts
$$$Treadmill$$$

:banghead First things first get away from these guys!They ar giving you the runnaround, it should not take this much guesstamation in order to figure out what the he** (double hockeystick is going on with your bike!)Almost $1,000and they are still not done putting your wallet on the treadmill!At this point i know you want answers but they are not the ones you should get them from,you need another source,such as these forums!They took all your mods!:angry

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Ok im not taking it back to them im so pissed off they told me that I bought a can of worms but the bike has great compression I dont see how there could be that many things wrong with my bike. Before I put it in this shop I had it in another one they cleaned the carbs and changed the plugs and told me the bike needed a valve job and it wouldnt run right until it was done they charged me $250.00 so I now have $1000.00 in repairs and a bike that still doesnt run right I payed $2800.00 for the bike so I have $3800.00 into it. It books for about $2300.00 did I mention that im pissed. Ok so what should I do next im afraid to take it to another shop. does anyone know a good honest mechanic in the Daytona Florida area? or should I do it myself I am mechanicly inclined I do all my own work on my vehicles i once did head gasket job on a mercury cougar took me 3 weeks using a haynes book. It took the kawasaki shop 8 weeks to not figure out what the heck is wrong with my bike.... maybe I should do it myself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can drop the float bowl, raise the float and stop the flow of gas, then no you do not need needles and seats but a float adjustment to stop the leak.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you can drop the float bowl, raise the float and stop the flow of gas, then no you do not need needles and seats but a float adjustment to stop the leak.
Cant agree more man !!!! Go buy yourself a nice D.I.Y. book on motorcycle carbs (plenty around) and spend a weekend dismantling and servicing it yourself. Then you will at least know excactly you they work and that it is right!!!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts