Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prompted by the UK govt safety video thread, I thought it might be worth starting a thread that might throw up some useful tips for less experienced riders. Some of us more experienced riders might learn something as well :grin

From experience everyone that rides a bike has different expectations & needs for riding, so obviously any advice should be adapted to suit your needs.

Here's a few general tips that I think are important to kick things off.

1. Make sure you check your bike on a regular basis, i.e. tyres, controls, fluids, chain, brakes. A well sorted bike is a safe bike.

2. Read books on riding - this time of year when you probably won't ride so much (unless you're Australian, etc) spend a bit of time reading e.g. Roadcraft, Twist of the Wrist by Keith Code - whatever is available from library or book store. Highway Code even! Not all applies but most knowledge comes in useful sometime.

3. Awareness. Be aware of your surroundings, road surface, road signs, what other vehicles around you are doing, weather, possible hazards, etc. and ride accordingly.

·
Registered
123 Posts
amen Shortcircut. i as checking out my bike after picking up some groceries last night. i thought i heard something funny, turned out to be nothing. but in the process i was looking at my tires, particularily my rear tire and saw a big nail/screw has worked its way at about a 10-15 degree angle into my rear tire.

i decided that it hadn't gone all the way through and would try to pull it out right there in case riding on it more causes it to push further in, which from looking at the marks on the tire was likely. pulled it out, spit on it to see if it was leaking and was on my way. no leak.

i'm guessing it won't comprimise my tire any. what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I have used high temp silicone gasket glue in holes from glass etc, this was to stop any small stones or the like working its way into the hole and thus causing a puncture.
Never had any issues doing this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts