Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Biker versus Motorcyclist...

1. In your opinion, do you feel there is a difference between the two?
2. If you do feel that the two are not the same, what are the differences?
3. And which one are you, if you had to pick one?

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts
I'm freelance

·
Registered
330 Posts
When I see those two terminologies, I think of:
Biker = choppers & riders wearing "colors"
Motorcyclist = everyone else riding a two wheeled motorized vehicle
Like pastorrikk1 said though - respect for all!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would define a biker as someone who rides on the weekends in pursuit of a better road, and rides to work on the week days. Someone who doesnt think twice about riding in the rain, or freezing temperatures. He knows just about everything about his bike, and knows a lot about yours.

I havnt thought about it but I guess a motorcyclist is someone who rides when he has the time. Doesnt really know much about bikes besides what he hears about at the dealership and bike night. Gets a confused look when you tell them something in depth about bikes in general. A regular dude who spent their spare money on a bike.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I would define a biker as someone who rides on the weekends in pursuit of a better road, and rides to work on the week days. Someone who doesnt think twice about riding in the rain, or freezing temperatures. He knows just about everything about his bike, and knows a lot about yours.

I havnt thought about it but I guess a motorcyclist is someone who rides when he has the time. Doesnt really know much about bikes besides what he hears about at the dealership and bike night. Gets a confused look when you tell them something in depth about bikes in general. A regular dude who spent their spare money on a bike.
+1 +1 And to add my little bit, bikers are those who are passionate about their "boneys", people who would sit at work and wish they were out riding, people who would every chance they get, surf (sorry ride) this forum to see what is new.
Motorcyclist are all those who only use their bikes to commute to work and back, or those that would take their tourers out of the garage once a year and then curse the battery manufacturer for a dead battery, and of course, Harley riders!!!!!!:nana

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
a little of both

·
Registered
184 Posts
My 2 cents:
A biker,that grungie looking guy related to that Harley,who sports those worn and faded jeans and jean jacket,with some bike logo on back,with a chain on his wallet to remember where he put it,who works along with you and I in every aspect of life who swears,jap bikes suck,who drives a honda on those really bad days,but is caught riding everywhere else.
A motorcyclist,the majority of us,weekend riders when the oppurtunity exists,knows alot what we ride or doesn't know what he is talking about,whats it matter,we can tell the difference,the guy that rides to work when he feels like it,rides it to wherever we ride because we can,enjoys motorcycle chat,enjoys motorcycle tv,enjoys motorcycle racing in person or on tv,we are motorcyclists!

·
Registered
449 Posts
If I had endless funds and time to build a custom street machine,you know S&S or revtech motor,drop the rear, put drag bars and a 210 on it and ride it, Some may call me a biker, however the next day you may see me on my ZX11 tearin it up. So the difference is that there is no difference. riding is riding, if I had sick cash I would have prolly 12 or so bikes,all kinds and styles.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If I had endless funds and time to build a custom street machine,you know S&S or revtech motor,drop the rear, put drag bars and a 210 on it and ride it, Some may call me a biker, however the next day you may see me on my ZX11 tearin it up. So the difference is that there is no difference. riding is riding, if I had sick cash I would have prolly 12 or so bikes,all kinds and styles.
amen

·
Registered
288 Posts
My 2 cents:
A biker,that grungie looking guy related to that Harley,who sports those worn and faded jeans and jean jacket,with some bike logo on back,with a chain on his wallet to remember where he put it,who works along with you and I in every aspect of life who swears,jap bikes suck,who drives a honda on those really bad days,but is caught riding everywhere else.
A motorcyclist,the majority of us,weekend riders when the oppurtunity exists,knows alot what we ride or doesn't know what he is talking about,whats it matter,we can tell the difference,the guy that rides to work when he feels like it,rides it to wherever we ride because we can,enjoys motorcycle chat,enjoys motorcycle tv,enjoys motorcycle racing in person or on tv,we are motorcyclists!
:withstupid

all the so called bikers i know talk shit about any bike that doesn't look like a harley or custom and only ride on the weekends. and they talk shit to me about riding my crotch rocket to work and parking in the construction parking lot asking if i'm worried about it getting dirty.

·
Registered
449 Posts
:withstupid

all the so called bikers i know talk shit about any bike that doesn't look like a harley or custom and only ride on the weekends. and they talk shit to me about riding my crotch rocket to work and parking in the construction parking lot asking if i'm worried about it getting dirty.
Yeah, I know what you mean but that has little to do with riding leaning more tward a piss poor attitude on their part. Just remember no matter where you go or what you do people will always be bumping their gums~ Bump...Bump...Bump...

·
Registered
131 Posts
My thoughts on this are the same but alittle different......I classify a "Biker" as a new rider that really knows nothing about the sport or concept of riding a bike. They ride alittle bit here and there and think they are hot shit.

Now on the other hand a "Motorcyclist" is someone who respects the culture of the sport of motorcycles. That knows the history...knows almost every bike ever in production...a die hard fan that can back it all up by the way he rides. That doesnt bash other riders by the type of bike they ride and also knows full mechanics of motorcycles in general.

Thats my 2 cents about bikers and motorcyclists

·
Registered
381 Posts
My thoughts on this are the same but alittle different......I classify a "Biker" as a new rider that really knows nothing about the sport or concept of riding a bike. They ride alittle bit here and there and think they are hot shit.

Now on the other hand a "Motorcyclist" is someone who respects the culture of the sport of motorcycles. That knows the history...knows almost every bike ever in production...a die hard fan that can back it all up by the way he rides. That doesnt bash other riders by the type of bike they ride and also knows full mechanics of motorcycles in general.

Thats my 2 cents about bikers and motorcyclists
Gods honest truth right there! +1

·
Registered
449 Posts
OK, I have thought about this since this thread was posted and perhaps I missed something. Does a biker work on his own bike? And a Motorcyclist does not? Wait,I fix my own machines and my pals bikes too, so what am I? All I know is riding is a huge part of my life and has been for a long time.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think in conventional old time terms, a biker is the traditional leather clad noisy v-twin chopper rider wearing a half-helmet and sunglasses. A motorcyclist is everybody else....

I grew up my whole life around the biker lifestyle (my parents & friends) and those guys rode rain or shine, cold or hot, to work & on the weekends. They worked on their own bikes tirelessly and called jap bikes "rice burners"!!!
Now a days I think that anyone on a bike is a little bit of both. Hell, my dad thinks that my bike is pretty damn cool but just digs cruising instead of carving.

I think I'm a bikercyclist!!!!!!!!:mfclap

·
Premium Member
4,424 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
One thing that I have noticed is that nobody has left any room for the people that are learning. I for one will say that The ZX6 i just purchased is my first street bike and being as I don't know every bike style, years, colors said years come in, FI or Carbed but I talk to people troll around on forums and learn as much as i can about bikes in general. If a "seasoned rider" says something and i don't understand i just ask because some people may not know the nickname of a certain problem or details such as "chicken strips" but understand what the actual problem or item that is being addressed. but I do enjoy riding whenever i get a chance . and that chance is usually on the weekends. I would ride it to work but its kind of hard to ride a ZX6 wearing a business suit. Hopefully I don't sound like a complete idiot, but i find it hard to just lump people into categories...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I must say I view my dad and myself as bikers but we are two COMPLETELY different riders. He started as i did on dirt and then got a honda 500 turbo as is first street ride. Earned his broken wings on that a few times and has now gotten on his big harley and thats his ride. he is the sunglasses and skull cap guy with straight pipes that rides around making alot of noise. I cant knock him for it because i have loved his bike my whole life. And there is the rub, I like the speed and handling of the zx6 and so does he honestly. We both wont hesitate to ride to work, him now being older doesnt like the cold but i rode to work the other day at 36 degrees 6:15 am. I think you MUST ride the high speed missle first before you earn the right to just cruise around, but thats how i was raised. In my opinion a motorcyclist is the guy at work who says, "yea i got a bike" but you never see it. It sits in the garage or shed with a trickle charger on it he lets it run every once in a while maybe takes it out 2 times a year. Its just something he has to say he has one. Bikers talk about thier bikes like they are thier children, they start them every other day, and usually if it gets started it gets ridden...

just my 2 cents

1 - 20 of 22 Posts