Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I ran out of gas Sunday coming off a 130 mile trip. I Then put gas in it and now it wont start at all. I had the reserve on so I ran the reserve out. What could be wrong with my bike. I have a zx-6R..2002...I never had problems as far as it starting. It will turn but it seems to be starving for gas and you can see the gas in my tank if you were to look. Any comments

·
Registered
990 Posts
I wonder if it might be an air lock in the fuel pump.

Try disconnecting the fuel line & seeing if fuel comes out. Just taking the pipe off may clear any air lock. It may come through itself otherwise you will need to fill the line up with fuel so that it primes the pump.

HTH

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Definitely would be my first thought as well. Fuel starvation. bike is turning over but not getting any go-go juice.

I have to concur with the shrtcct above me here. Question: when you're trying to start it, do you smell any gas?

Another thought is to try starting it with the gas tank cap open. this may also release the airlock, but I wouldn't leave it running like that. If it starts, shut it off, re-secure the gas cap, and try starting it again.

Just my $.02

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
try blowing back through your fuel line into the tank, then do all the above.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same thing happened to me about a month back. I have a 2000 zx6r and i ran even the reserve tank out. I just had to open the fuel cap to let the air block out and hold down the start while having the bike battery hooked up to a charger so it jump starts the fuel pump and forces the fuel through....the excess air will get burned up as its pushes into the cylinders.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ran out of gas on the track. Engine cut out, switched to reserve, and the bike wouldn't start. Drained the battery completely and still wouldn't start. Had to get a boost before it would turn over. Could it possibly be something other than an air lock in the fuel pump? Possibly a dead or weak pump?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts