Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, heres the deal. my 1991 zx7 will not start from the push button, but it bump starts no problem. i checked all fuses and replaced starter solenoid relay. the connector off the alternator was fried. i don't know what caused this. (thinking water got up there). just replaced connector and still no start. my neutral light will not come on, but even bypassing the neutral safety switch will not permit the bike to start. However, if i cross the poles on the starter relay it will crank the motor but will not fire up. If anyone can please help me with this it would be greatly appreciated, im at a loss here, and even the local shop couldn't figure it out. (after 2 hours diagnostics, so i don't know how thorough they were with their assessment) Thanks in advance.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Wish I knew more about the older models... but if its anything like the p model... check the voltage at the starter relay.

· Registered
2 Posts
Bike won't start off button, but will bump.

The past problems I've had of a similar nature turned out to be:

First time a loose connection at the battery,

Second time all sorts of weird things were going, like neutral light dissappearing, turned out that the battery needed to be replaced. Took the battery to a retailer who diagnosed it as dead and as they were wholesale I got a good deal on a replacement.

More recently a frayed wire coming from the ignition switch, also caused an intermittent problem with the back light going off. Bump started first time!

When you said the connection had fried at the starter solenoid, I had the connector from the wire to the solenoid disintegrate, just needed a new connector fitting.

Nothing worse than a bike that won't start for no apparent reason.

· Banned
3,604 Posts
OK if nothing happens when you turn the key, first place I would check is the main fuse. It is located in the 4 wire connector on the solenoid. If that checks out, then make sure that all the fuses are good in the fuse box. Next check the ignition switch. If all that checks out, then the starter solenoid may be at fault.

· Registered
208 Posts
the problem i would look at.. i work on bikes and love doing it and had these problems come into play with me too.

First.. ignition switch.. like christi said.. if turning the key doesn't give you any power.. the tray inside the switch its self that tells the computer what postion the key is in could have a burn up in it. (one of the connectors inside could be gone) u said that u had a fried wire, could have sent a charge up there too.

Second.. fueses, check them all and replace all if have to, one could be out and looks like it isn't!

Third.. the computer its self.. everything could work fine with it, but u could have one port in the computer that wont let the bike start. that would be the Gray wire.. that runs from the switch to the computer telling it to start.

any further problems i would have to say that u may have a bad starter button and may have a short in that also. but for me what i came to after bypassing ignitions is that the ignition switch was going bad and wouldn't let anything further prossed. Bypass ur ignition and see if that solves one of the problems. I have the manual to ur bike and can tell you how to do so.. good luck!!

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks a lot for all of your input. i really appreciate it. unfortunately i am in a location with extremely limited internet access and i wont be at my garage until this Friday. im hoping to get my bike up and running this weekend. i'll post any updates as soon as i i can. thanks again for the help

· Registered
208 Posts
One other thing.. The resistor inside the switch also plays a part in letting the bike start by button.. May have a bad one and have to replace it. That resitor is inline with that gray wire that goes to the computer on the bike. That all tells the bike to start from the push button. Good luck and let us know what the turn out is.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey,
To start off, thanks for all of your inputs. The issur ended up being about 7 dead shorts in the wires coming from the left handlebar controlls. The wires that come out of the switches for the headlight and the horn and signals had shorted th the frame. (I guess after 20 plus years of wear from turning the bars). 3 of the wires were severed all together. After splicing them back together she turned over just fine. But after letting the bike sit so long with everything open, the jets fouled up, so I was thinking about re-jetting the bike. Does anyone have any insight on what to use to get a little more power, or should I just use stock specs? Once again, thank you so much for all of your input

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
You don't really jet for more power, you jet to match the increased airflow through the engine.

You need a jet kit when the bike is too lean from inreased airflow. If your bike is totally stock, a jet kit isnt going to get you much except for a rich running engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.