Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I haven’t done any valve clearances bought it from previous owner who really didn’t have any history but normal oil changes. But the bike was running fine until it sat for 4 days can it be the valve clearance that can cause this?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Rest a finger on the end of the fuel pump while the engine is running, can you feel the pump knocking every second or so?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Okay worked on the bike today it seemed that my slides were being pinched and weren’t fully functioning. Also while the carbs were out I cleaned the jet that the primary Jets sits in, I really don’t know what it’s called. It was full of funk and even carb cleaner doesn’t seem to remove it I let all the jets and that longer looking jet that the primary jets sits in sit in carb cleaner for a whole night and removed as much of the gunk as I could. So I started the bike and took a while for it to turn over I had primed the gas with the fuel pump and when the bike turned on it idled high and then died, it did that a couple times and then started running fine idle was good and I could rev it towards limiter. So I took it out for a ride to see if all was fixed but when I would shift and let off throttle and roll on throttle it would lag and then go. It past 30 mph but after maybe 8 mins riding it would sputter and die, I thought maybe it was low on gas pulled into gas station and put gas and this didn’t resolve the issue. It would turn on rev high and die even on when choke was open it would rev high and then die again. Anything I should check in the carbs again?

·
Registered
838 Posts
if the motor revs high at idle it means there is a vacuum leak somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
okay found the issue and bike runs fine. It seems to run normal like before but I am missing the o rings that go on all the main jets and one of the metal o rings that go on the a/f screw does anyone know the sizes or where I can find them?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I'm slightly confused by your statement "...missing the o rings that go on all the main jets..."

If we look at the Parts Manual; eg:

Carb Parts

and look at Part 92063, we don't see an O-ring.

I recently stripped down the carb block on my ZX7R (which is similar) and there are no O-rings on the main jets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I’m sorry I meant the o rings on the emulsion tube or where the main jet gets screwed into. When I had opened my carbs they had some on and I took them off to clean but they just ripped because of how old they were.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Again, in the Parts diagram I don't see any O-rings on the fuel main jet tube, part number 13280A. Also, on my ZX7R carbs I never saw O-Rings and never fit any.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Again, in the Parts diagram I don't see any O-rings on the fuel main jet tube, part number 13280A. Also, on my ZX7R carbs I never saw O-Rings and never fit any.
Oh interesting when I opened mine it had o rings maybe whoever had it before put them on them. I’ll assemble the carbs back together then. Also do you know where I could find the A/F screw o ring not the rubber one the steel o ring or metal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi. when you ask "...where I could find the A/F screw...". I live in the UK and see that you live in the States. In the UK we have a supplier called Kawasaki Original Parts, who are very good in catering for older bikes. However, any good local Kawasaki dealer should be able to source a missing part.

Do check the Parts Manual, with the above supplied link or the actual parts manual if you have one; pdf copies are available online. They are invaluable in determining if a part is missing. They also help in putting things back together if you get a bit mixed up, which often happens to me!

At first the carb block looks scary but after a while you realise it consists of 4 identical blocks and once you've figured out how one of the blocks works then you've got it sussed. However, tweaking carbs and ensuring everything is clean and working correctly is a bit of a black art. It sounds like your carbs have been tampered with by someone who didn't fully understand what they were doing.

Hang in there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So where to start..
I have almost the same problem except. Bike revs freely, will run to redline if you slowly roll into it. But it hesitates hard on anything above half throttle.
It started when I took it out for a blast hit about 160 and took the exit went to make a return trip and had no power merging onto the freeway. At first I thought the carbs were icing because it was very chilly that day.
I have checked the plugs all are good, replace fuel filter, fuel, checked all the lines and checked all vacuum lines. Still dont have a good idea. So I am looking at carbs and fuel pump now.
She seems to be a bit harder to start than usual as well...
Thanks for the help and I will start going through all the steps in this post hopeful to find something.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So where to start..
I have almost the same problem except. Bike revs freely, will run to redline if you slowly roll into it. But it hesitates hard on anything above half throttle.
It started when I took it out for a blast hit about 160 and took the exit went to make a return trip and had no power merging onto the freeway. At first I thought the carbs were icing because it was very chilly that day.
I have checked the plugs all are good, replace fuel filter, fuel, checked all the lines and checked all vacuum lines. Still dont have a good idea. So I am looking at carbs and fuel pump now.
She seems to be a bit harder to start than usual as well...
Thanks for the help and I will start going through all the steps in this post hopeful to find something.
Zx9 E1 US, jetted k&n Muzzy full titanium

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the fuel pump kicks when I try to start the bike in gear for about 3 to 4 seconds until the pressure is built up in the carbs. So I think the pump and relay is good.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts