Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious. I've gotten caught in the rain a few times. And when I get home and pull it in the garage steam starts coming out of the front like crazy! Is this normal?

·
Registered
494 Posts
The fairing will hold a fair (get the pun) amount of water. The pipes are smoking hot, and your rad will be nice 'n warm too. So what's happening is the water in there is boiling off all the time. You just don't notice it when you're riding because you're moving, and the steam is behind you. It's nothing to worry about until it smells like burning plastic, coolant, or oil.

Or you catch on fire... shrug.

It's all good really.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I was thinking. It just freaked me out the first time. Because I left it outside for a second to cool down and it was fine. Then as soon as I parked it in the garage steam starts pouring out of the front. But when I pulled it back outside it was cool.

Can anybody recomend a good rain suite? It seems like everytime I go visit my parents 3 hours away I get caught in the rain on the way back.

Last weekend was crazy!! They had been calling for nice waeather all weekend. I see that it's clouding up when I'm getting ready to leave. So I check the weather report and now they're calling for isolated storms. I leave town and get a half hour out and hit some rain. I pull into a rest area and wait it out. When it stops I roll out. Ten minutes later I run into some more rain and by this time is dark. I've ridden in the rain before so I'm not to worried. Next thing I know this storms getting crazy!! Lighting like crazy, pouring buckets, the wind is blowing me all over the road. Even cars are pulling to the side of the road with their hazards on. I have to drive about 10 minutes to the next exit and by the time I get there I look like I've been swiming in my clothes. I get to the bottom of the ramp and don't notice that there is a concrete strom drain crossing the street. I go over that and my bike starts fish tailing all over the road. I ride through it and it finally stabalizes. So I pull into a gas station and call my folks and tell them I'm coming back home. I was an hour out and had another 2 hours to go. After I turned around it I hit dry road again. I got back to me peeps house and jumped in a hot shower. I don't think I've ever been that wet and cold!!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Last weekend was crazy!! ........ I was an hour out and had another 2 hours to go. After I turned around it I hit dry road again. I got back to me peeps house and jumped in a hot shower. I don't think I've ever been that wet and cold!!
Sounds like the day I picked mine up. 3hr round trip and I was soaked to the skin within 10mins and very cold. Ive been colder though - a 2.5hr trip on New Years Eve night in ambient temperatures of -6C to see my mum. It'd normally take me about 1.5hrs but the roads were so icy I had to take it steady. Now that was cold!

With the weather we've been having I've had plenty of experience with the steam. Mine's been that bad that it's steamed up the screen AND my visor when I've been stopped in traffic before.

·
Registered
317 Posts
riding in the rain was fun....only if i had the right clothing...if only i can have a full leather suit...man. just ride in the rain without even worrying about being cold but focus on your riding.

·
Registered
494 Posts
riding in the rain was fun....only if i had the right clothing...if only i can have a full leather suit...man. just ride in the rain without even worrying about being cold but focus on your riding.
Leather's won't keep you dry unless they're specially treated. And even then it'll probably soak in through the seams.

Personally I spent $60 (retail $120 Canadian) for a Triumph full body 1 piece motorcycle rainsuit. Covers me from ankle to neck with triple covered zippers the whole way around. It's got zippers that run all the way down the inside of the leg, so you can just wrap it around yourself and do it up. Totally waterproof - the only thing that gets wet anymore is my hands. So long as I pull over and put it on before I get into the rain.

·
Registered
494 Posts
DOOPS, Triumph has a highly frustrating flash based website.

You can find it here. Select:
Clothing
By Product
Oversuits

I bought the Chevron Oversuit through my shop. So I got it at a pretty decent price, and it's totally waterproof. And it comes with a slightly oversize fanny pack to store it in. So I just strap it over one should across my back like an ugly courier bag and take off.

The suit itself only says Triumph on one little tag (3mm by 6mm) sewn beside one of the pockets so you don't need to feel ashamed about wearing Triumph gear on a Kawi... no one will ever know unless they're searching you head to toe.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My bike does the same. After a long ride the bike holds a lot of water inside the fairings and arounds the padding etc. When I pulled it into the garage.... yowser!!! Really cools steam engine... I wish I would have taken a pic or two. Cause Damn!!! But I have to admit.... wouldnt anybody think that is normal? Water on exhaust = steam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rain

I have not noticed my bike steaming but I will definitely check next time. I got caught in a downpour last nite! I mean i was fishtailing in the road b.c. so much water was flooding the road. A little bit of hail but when I stopped, the hail stopped so I just kept going. I only went 15 miles but I every inch of me was drenched. I had a blast!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My bike does the same. After a long ride the bike holds a lot of water inside the fairings and arounds the padding etc. When I pulled it into the garage.... yowser!!! Really cools steam engine... I wish I would have taken a pic or two. Cause Damn!!! But I have to admit.... wouldnt anybody think that is normal? Water on exhaust = steam.

I figured it was normal afterwards. But when it happened it freak me out a bit. It was steaming a little bit before I pulled it int he garage. But as soon as I pulled it in the garage steam started pouring out of like a car that is overheating. So I pulled it back outside and it was fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts