Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1992 ex500. Ran out of gas about a week ago. Closest gas station (7-11) only had 87octane. So I put that in it. Calls for 91. Now bike won't idle. Have to ride around with choke on to keep the rpm's up so that the bike won't shut off... if rpms are 2000 or lower, bike stalls. Figured i'd run it dry, fill it back up with 91 and i'd be good to go... NOPE. It used to idle nicely at around 1200rpm. Tried an octane booster... didn't help. Don't know why I would have to seeing as how it was running fine previously but do you guys think I have to adjust the air/fuel ratio?? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Or any questions if I left out any info... oh and other than idle, once I'm above 2000rpm, bike runs fine. Doesn't run rough at all and performs great. But once I pull up to that stop light, shuts off. And its NOT the butterfly valve adjustment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BUELLER... BUELLER...

I'm thinking either clogged jets (again)
Vacuum leak (doubt it)
Or maybe have to adjust a/f ratio???
Anyone know how to do this on an ex500????

·
Registered
74 Posts
Clean your carbs. Drain your tank.

Most likely when you put the tank to reserve when you ran out of gas, there was sediment at the bottom of the tank which got into your carbs. Now you have dirty carbs. Clean the carbs and drain/ flush your tank.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I'll clean your carbs for ya. But yeah clean the carbs. Sounds like the pilot circuit is clogged.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will do! Thanks! Hey christi, I forgot to thank you for a thread I posted months ago! I replaced clutch plates on a little honda rebel I have and the clutch lever wouldn't return when squeezed! You told me exactly what to do! I had a piece in backwards! Lol... anyways, thank you! :D
And crazy that ur from b-town, fl... which I assume to be BRADENTON??? I just moved to texas last june but before that I lived in that area... bradenton, palmetto, sarasota... since I was 5yrs old till I turned 18 and joined the navy. Then eventually moved back. I miss the beach!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took carbs completely apart & cleaned! No luck!!!

So I took my carbs apart COMPLETELY. Put them back together, put bike back together. Started it up with the choke engaged. STILL HOWEVER, WHEN I TAKE THE CHOKE OFF AND THE BIKE WILL IDLE FOR A FEW SECONDS AND THEN SHUT OFF!!! WHAT ELSE CAN I DO?? What else could be causing this problem?? Please help guys.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can adjust the butterfly valve so that the rpms remain at around 3-4000 rpms and the bike won't shut off... but its annoying not to mention uncalled for. Anything under 3000 rpms and the bike shuts off...

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
That means your pilots are still clogged.

Which means you didn't completely clean them. Go buy yourself one of these for 3-4 bucks at a local hardware store. Its called a tip cleaner, used for cleaning the tips of cutting torches and stuff.

Now, this is not your bike so it will be a little different (meaning ignore the specific location and order of the holes and the text), however...

That is basically what you are looking for. You need to very carefully run a wire into those. Carefully, because you don't want to file them out to be larger or damage them at all. Just feed the wire in as far as it goes gently - obviously use the right size one. Follow it up with carb cleaner and then compressed air.

Those are your problem right there. Its also one of the most common issues with 500 carbs, because the pilot circuit requires so little fuel on those bikes that the holes are reallly small.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Oh, and there might be a couple other larger holes in there on the engine side of the butterflies. Clean those out too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The pic you attached actually looks just like mine. Its got the 3 "bypass holes" and the 1 "pilot outlet"... I sprayed every hole out thoroughly with carb cleaner but I admit I didn't use compressed air OR wires... guess I'll try again. Thanks squidge. I don't know what the name is but its a brass/copper looking tube with aligned pin holes that threads into the inner part of the carbs that looks like u can take it out with either an 8mm socket OR a flathead screw driver. What are they called and are they supposed to be threaded all the way in, nice and snug? Or are they supposed to be turned out a certain amout? I'm confused as to when I read on these forums "turn 1 1/2 turns out" should I be adjusting something that I'm tightening all the way??? And the part I described above has a similar one right next to it but it has no "hex head" and it goes in deeper... I tried to use a flat head to get it out but it wouldn't budge so I just left it alone...

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
Possibly the main jet. I never had to take my 500 carbs out, so idk. It varies slightly from one to another.

One is a main jet, the other a pilot jet. Both jets should be seated while the pilot screw should be accessible from with the bowl on the carb. The stuff inside the carb should be snug.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yeah that tube on the inside with all the little holes in it is the emulsion tube. it helps atomize the fuel with air before it hits the intakes. All those holes need to be clean clean! And glad I could help with the rebel clutch.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
so i'm trying to attach a pic but it wont let me

how do i reduce the image resolution from 56kb to the 19.5kb i'm allowed???

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm trying to attach a pic to show u guys that after taking my carbs apart to clean them, when putting them back together I noticed that in the bottom bowls where the floats are, one jet in one carb threads in all the way and in the other carb the same jet of the same length does not thread in all the way and I was wondering if anyone knew why???

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Yeah they all should thread in the same way. take em out and make sure they are are the same part, and length. It still sounds like your pilot jets are clogged. Take the carbs back off, pull the bowls, and then the emulsion tubes (the things that take an 8mm wrench or socket to get off) then next to that on the right there is a little jet buried deep inside that hole. Take it out too. Make sure that is super clean and the passages are as well by spraying brake cleaner in there. Should come out the pilot screw hole that you should have also removed, and some through the throttle body where the butterfly is. Then spray some through the jet as well to make sure you get a nice stream of cleaner coming out. Put it all back together with the pilot screws out 2.5 turns and go from there..

Now when installing the pilots there should be a spring that goes on first, an O-ring, then a little washer. Don't loose any of those parts.

BTW did you say you moved back to Florida? Or did I misread that..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Above is the link to the pic. Only way I could figure out how to post it on here ... did it through my fb. My carbs don't have anything adjustable besides the butterfly valve adjustment. I tried to take the jets out right next to the emulsion tubes u speak of but they wouldn't budge! I guess I should spray some PB blaster in there??? And as for the emulsion tubes, as u can see in the pic, one threads all the way in and the other does not. I don't wanna force it. I'm applying a good amount of pressure and it seems to snug down...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
And I've yet to see any springs inside my carbs... unless there are some on the jets that are "buried deepinside the hole" next to the emulsion tubes...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts