Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Granted 90+ degree days and lights at every 100yards in Northern VA. It's often one bar from overheating. Now I did put Vance and Hines exhaust on it and it said you didn't need to remap so I didn't. But I need to solve the almost overheating problem. Thoughts??

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
4,606 Posts
Old coolant?
Low Coolant
Temp sensor failing
Air in cooling system
Fans not coming on/Fans coming on late (Factory has the temp set somewhat high)
Melted fans
Thermostat failing/sticking

City traffic is horrible for sport bikes. If your bike is in top shape and everything checks out; I would either skip the city route and/or consider sending the ECU to be flashed. Some tuners (like moore mafia) set the fan temp lower to keep the engine cooler, longer. Setting the fan temp lower will take the bike longer to get hotter. But, it's not a fix for your riding conditions.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
Almost overheating is like almost being pregnant. It's an either/or situation.
You might try some performance coolant like Engine Ice.

·
Administrator
58,802 Posts
You can add a 2nd fan on the 1st gen 14 like the 14R has or Muzzy used to make a single fan upgrade that moved more air if you can find one.
Or get an ecu flash to turn the fan on sooner.
I would do the flash either way since you have the exhaust on it. You can get a fuel map and have the flies open sooner
The 14 needs air movement. It's not a stop n go commuter
If your high temp isn't flashing then you're fine
Here are the temp readings
1st Bar = 100-140 degrees
2nd Bar = 140-160 degrees
3rd Bar = 160-180 degrees
4th Bar = 180-210 degrees
5th Bar = 210-230 degrees

·
Registered
714 Posts
I know its unnerving watching the indicator getting that high. but Unless the motor is rattling its not over heating.
If I had a Gen 1 I would deff add the 2nd fan.
My Gen 2 when its 90 + out and in traffic im showing 238 at times.

·
Registered
2017 ZX10R Non-ABS
9 Posts
I know its unnerving watching the indicator getting that high. but Unless the motor is rattling its not over heating.
If I had a Gen 1 I would deff add the 2nd fan.
My Gen 2 when its 90 + out and in traffic im showing 238 at times.
This is similar to my experience with my Gen 2. I'm in Texas and the actual temperature exceeds 100+ almost daily during the summers months, and if I'm sitting at a light for a long period it will shoot to the 230's. However, as soon as I starting moving again the temps do come down to the 190's-low 200's.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts