Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So recently just got my motorcycle running again and the first time I started it it ran fine. But all of a sudden now it doesn’t want to start , or It will either start for a second then die or just sputter. The battery is new and I cleaned the carb and still having problem what should I do ?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,807 Posts
So recently just got my motorcycle running again and the first time I started it it ran fine. But all of a sudden now it doesn’t want to start , or It will either start for a second then die or just sputter. The battery is new and I cleaned the carb and still having problem what should I do ?
Idle too low? A/F ratio too rich or lean? Kinked fuel line? Bad fuel pump or pump relay? Clogged fuel line? Clogged filter? Bad gas?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ok update everything you listed is fine but now I checked for spark and it’s not sparking now even though it ran like 2 days ago I’m lost what to look at next . also it might help to say I adjusted the idle screw a little bit but I doubt that would do anything right ?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Idle screw doesn't have any effect on spark. Do you have spark on the other 3 spark plugs?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Does it have an aftermarket ignition switch?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
No I recently changed it to a oem ignition . The first day when I changed it to the oem it started fine ,but now it just Turning over all the time and sometimes will sputter even though I haven’t changed anything
If you ground the spark plug to the top of the valve cover and try to start it, will it spark then? Just trying to figure out what diag. you've done to confirm the no spark.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you ground the spark plug to the top of the valve cover and try to start it, will it spark then? Just trying to figure out what diag. you've done to confirm the no spark.
Ok update i grounded it with the spark test thing and it’s sparking no problem all four but when I put everything back together it still just turns over and don’t start what now ?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Ok update i grounded it with the spark test thing and it’s sparking no problem all four but when I put everything back together it still just turns over and don’t start what now ?
Spark - check
Air - check
Fuel - ?

Check for fuel flow. Lines, pump, pump relay, fuel filter. Last thing to look at after this are the carbs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Spark - check
Air - check
Fuel - ?

Check for fuel flow. Lines, pump, pump relay, fuel filter. Last thing to look at after this are the carbs.
Ok update in my fuel lines I see fuel and fuel pump relay seems good no bad fuses and fuel filter is clean. I’m really not sure why this thing isn’t starting because everything seems right unless I’m looking in the wrong spots

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Ok update in my fuel lines I see fuel and fuel pump relay seems good no bad fuses and fuel filter is clean. I’m really not sure why this thing isn’t starting because everything seems right unless I’m looking in the wrong spots
If you take one of the fuel lines off of the fuel tap and direct it into a fuel can, turn the key to on and Killswitch in the run position; does the pump turn on and push fuel out?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you take one of the fuel lines off of the fuel tap and direct it into a fuel can, turn the key to on and Killswitch in the run position; does the pump turn on and push fuel out?
Update I checked fuel pump it’s fine so fuel is fine I charged up battery and it ran for a bit I just need to get carb adjusted I’ll update what happens next

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update I checked fuel pump it’s fine so fuel is fine I charged up battery and it ran for a bit I just need to get carb adjusted I’ll update what happens next
Ok so before I even attempt to try and sync this carb I got it to run then it would idle for a second then just loose power and die, but it starts up fine it’s just when I give throttle it’s delayed. So In order to sync the carb what should I do ?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Ok so before I even attempt to try and sync this carb I got it to run then it would idle for a second then just loose power and die, but it starts up fine it’s just when I give throttle it’s delayed. So In order to sync the carb what should I do ?
If you don't have one already, buy a carb sync tool aka vacuum sync tool. Motion Pro has a good one.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Pics?
If they're rounded off you'll need to extract them with bolt extractor kit. Replace them once you get them out.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts