Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well ... the engine is in and took her out for a test drive. She is running rough. No power at all when I roll hard on the throttle.... REALLY it has poor response.

Here is where is where I am going , tell me if you have other thoughts
1. Almost feels like it's not running on all cylinders so I am going to replace spark plugs and make sure spark plug wires are secure
2. Clean carburetors
3. Check throttle cables
4. Check gas lines for any obstructions

I just had the bottom end worked on (replace 2nd gear, undercut trany, better oil system ) so the bike was running great before all this and I have done my best not to mess
with the carburetors. So I am hoping it is just some vacuum tubes, air hoses or something like that maybe obstructed or not connected.

I should be able to do all of the above and then test is without the airbox?
I know a lot of people have commented that the airbox is an intricate part of this bike but I am struggling on how to test/check the carbs ( which i think is the ultimate problem.... not getting good air/fuel) with that giant airbox

Any thoughts or help or comments are greatly appreciated

Todd

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Double check to make sure the slides are all rising in unison. Lack of vacuum will keep a slide stationary or slow in responding. The diaphragms needs to be seated correctly. Also, a common thing to get neglected are the Pilot Jets, if these get plugged up off idle throttle response will be non existent until around 4k or so & then u are not in off idle land anymore Dorothy. . The Pilot Jets feed the lil orifices positioned just before the Carb butterflys. These too can get plugged up, so even if the pilots are cleared, the bike wont respond right. Butterflys open, Slides rise, all according to Hoyle, but there isnt any gas to mix with the air, so the bike falls on its face.

I should get a commission from Factoy Pro, cuz Im their best Salesman. Ive done about every mod there is to the ZX11, and next to Magnesium rims, (which I have also done), its the best mod u can do...

Contrary to popular belief the ram air doesnt do shit at idle or a standstill, so u can dial in the carbs w/o it on. I dare anybody to synch these fuckers with the air box on too... 😋

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Double check to make sure the slides are all rising in unison. Lack of vacuum will keep a slide stationary or slow in responding. The diaphragms needs to be seated correctly. Also, a common thing to get neglected are the Pilot Jets, if these get plugged up off idle throttle response will be non existent until around 4k or so & then u are not in off idle land anymore Dorothy. . The Pilot Jets feed the lil orifices positioned just before the Carb butterflys. These too can get plugged up, so even if the pilots are cleared, the bike wont respond right. Butterflys open, Slides rise, all according to Hoyle, but there isnt any gas to mix with the air, so the bike falls on its face.

I should get a commission from Factoy Pro, cuz Im their best Salesman. Ive done about every mod there is to the ZX11, and next to Magnesium rims, (which I have also done), its the best mod u can do...

Contrary to popular belief the ram air doesnt do shit at idle or a standstill, so u can dial in the carbs w/o it on. I dare anybody to synch these fuckers with the air box on too... 😋
You guys have been AMAZING with your suggestions.... One thing I did notice... there is a noticeable difference in the vacuum of one of my carbs. Meaning .... if I physically push up on the slides ... all of the slides FEEL like they have vacuum as I manually push up on each. One in particular instantly drops back down....I am assuming THAT is not correct?

Todd

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Hi Todd..... that MAY, or may not, be an issue. Is it the #2 carb? If so, mine has done that as well. Reseat the diaphragms just to be sure, and get on those Pilots... if anything, those & the butterfly orifices, r the most important to keep clear, other then a jet kit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Carbs rebuilt/cleaned and looking good. New spark plugs ... NOW I am wondering if I MAY have found THE problem, I think my spark plug wires are incorrect

What I am wondering is: (per the online manual)
IGNITION COIL -1
The top of the Ignition coil goes to cylinder #4
The bottom of the ignition coil goes to cylinder #1

IGNITION COIL -2
The top of the Ignition coil goes to cylinder #2
The bottom of the ignition coil goes to cylinder #3

Does the top and bottom of the ignition coil really matter? OR does it matter more that on coil-1 is going to #1 and #4 ?

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
I think u r right, but its been so long since I ran OEM coils, (Im running stick coils), Im not entirely sure anymore. If u did have plug wires reversed the bike would have ran like shit.... idled like shit or barely idled @ all. Simple pulling a plug wire while its running is an quick way to verify connections.

But I have to ask, WHY r the plug wires removed from the Coils? Wires are all PRECUT, so its pretty much impossible to put them on the wrong plug.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I completely understand... All I can tell you is that I am not the original owner... And I can tell whoever owned this was a DIY... All the wires are labeled..... But I can tell at least one of the coils has been replaced. My buddy had some parts from a zx11... And I had to switch one of the sparkplug lines because you could easily just pull one of the wires from the spark plug houding
Todd

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
No worries...... my apologies for being blunt... and thinking about it I dont believe it matters..... if my memory serves me, which as of late, it hasnt, :) All the plugs spark together, whether its on compression/power stroke or not.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's all good!! I really appreciate all the help and responses.... This forum has been great. Curious... Would you recommend going to "stick coils"? Not sure what those are.

Thanks again
Todd

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Some Folks have had great success with Stick Coils, like me, and others have tried it and it just didnt work out for them

Newer Bikes & Cars have their coils directly attached to the spark plugs, effectively removing the stock coils and opening up the top of the engine for a bit easier access. I also think it improves performance as well.

Ive been running it that way for 5 years now and it has work just great for me... You buy used stick coils for a ZX10R and off u go to the races

2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R ZX1000C IGNITION COIL WIRING HARNESS WIRE LOOM | eBay

2005 Kawasaki Ninja Zx10r Zx10 R Ignition Coils Coil Spark Plug Caps Oem 2004 | eBay

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Todd..... that MAY, or may not, be an issue. Is it the #2 carb? If so, mine has done that as well. Reseat the diaphragms just to be sure, and get on those Pilots... if anything, those & the butterfly orifices, r the most important to keep clear, other then a jet kit.
That may be a simple fix of popping the black cover off the carb. Check for tears in the diaphragm. But upon reading you already had them rebuilt again so there we go.

Sort out the coil lengths and firing order that is definitely important lol the engine won't be firing in the correct order.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So close ... Rebuilt the carbs. Cleaned with carb fluid... blew air through everything ...
Put the bike back together ... Seem to me me as it warms up still can't get it to idle right and have to use the choke or it dies.... Still anything above 5k rpm's ... no power .... CRAP !! Thought I had it ...
Think it might be time to take it to my local shop.. They are WAY behind here in Omaha.... If I drop it off Monday ... probably won't see it for 2 weeks ....

I attached the a pic so you can at least see the custom tail piece I made and custom paint job. The custom fairing is not on yet but I will try to get pics of that too.. It's basically a ZX10 node grafted to a ZX11 ...

Thanks again for all your help ... let me know if you have anymore ideas....
Todd

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just so I list the stuff

New oil pan
Undercut trans
Extended swingarm(5.5")
Customize rear end with integrated stop light turnsignal
Custom Black and blue front and rear rims

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Some Folks have had great success with Stick Coils, like me, and others have tried it and it just didnt work out for them

Newer Bikes & Cars have their coils directly attached to the spark plugs, effectively removing the stock coils and opening up the top of the engine for a bit easier access. I also think it improves performance as well.

Ive been running it that way for 5 years now and it has work just great for me... You buy used stick coils for a ZX10R and off u go to the races

2004 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R ZX1000C IGNITION COIL WIRING HARNESS WIRE LOOM | eBay

2005 Kawasaki Ninja Zx10r Zx10 R Ignition Coils Coil Spark Plug Caps Oem 2004 | eBay

View attachment 18056
btw ... Those parts are in KC ... about 3 hours from me... I talked to the guy... he is sending them to me ... should get them on Wednesday !

Thanks
Todd

·
Registered
23 Posts
Check all ur vacuum lines. Check ur idle screws (2.5 turns) w the airbox off check that the slides r moving when u rev it. Might need to restrict the airflow w ur fingers for it to rev tho.
All the bike shops r busy af rn. Here in des moines were booking 3-4 weeks out for anything other than oil/tires its crazy. And awesome. Ish

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Extended swingarm(5.5")
Ok, Ill be the elitist A-Hole snob, if I knew ahead of time that this was in the ZX-11's future I never would have responded to this thread...

but I digress...

NEVER take your rolling stock to a Shop when YOU can fix it yourself, NEVER....

Did you, or DID YOU NOT, remove the Pilot Jets? NOT blow air thru them, BUT PHYSICALLY REMOVED EACH GAWD DAMN ONE OF THEM AND SAW DAYLIGHT THRU THEM?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts