Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Ninja last October on Ebay for a little over $1200. I wasn't planning on winning, I just like to bid on stuff. I'm an addict. Anyway. The bike had (and has) just over 10k on it, some slight road rash, and a Vance & Hines SS-R full exhaust (so sweet). When I picked it up from the former owner it did not have a battery in it, but he was able to use a jump box and get it started almost immediately. His claim was he bought it for $2500 about 3 years before and then had kids so it was left covered in his garage. He never even changed the title over. (But he's also a used car dealer so who knows.) The idle was a little rough but if it was sitting for 3 years I guess that's to be expected.

Ordered a battery, filled it with electrolyte, and charged it. Gave it new plugs, a new air filter (because someone put in a K&N that didn't even fit), and an oil & filter change (that it badly needed). Now it's November. After the oil I start it and let it warm up. Pull in the clutch and shift; it bucks and stalls immediately upon shifting. Shit! need a new clutch? I open the oil filler cap to look at the clutch. The plates weren't moving when I pull in the lever. Turns out they actually were stuck together from sitting. So I let the bike idle for awhile and kept pulling in the lever. Then stopped in and lightly pried the plates apart with a screwdriver. That worked. Clutch works fine now and I went for a ride up the street.

First ride made me so nervous. Steering was terrible, thought I was going to put it down. The tires were about 15 PSI too low. And I didn't have a helmet with me, so the cool Fall air and the acceleration quickly made my eyes water. The idle still had problems but it was running so I was happy.

Over the Winter. All I did was take care of the Title, Registration, Plates, and Insurance and start the bike a few times to charge the battery. I wanted this thing ready for inspection ASAP. The bike is in my Old Man's shed; it's too cold to work out there and there's no light.

First warm week of spring. I ordered Carb Kits. Took all the fairings off and ripped out the Carburetors. What a bitch. You can read about that mess in this post: http://www.zxforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3504
Plus I got a cheap fairing bolt kit because some douchebag along the lines put random bolts in places they weren't meant to go. Some were even missing.

I was now ready to get it to a shop. My plan was to tell the shop to start with a compression test, valve clearance adjustment, carb sync, and get it through inspection. Then let me know the overall condition it's in and recommend what else it could use to run it's best. And if the bill was going to be more than $1000, it's going out for parts and I'll get something else. But... I found out I'm going to Denmark for 7 weeks with my girlfriend and I hadn't sold my other bike yet so the shop's on hold.

Well now I'm about a week from coming home from Denmark. I'm flat broke. But I still plan on getting it in the shop as soon as I can. It'll just have to go on credit. I've seen many really sweet bikes here, including some that you will never see in the states. I'm really getting anxious.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jesus Tap-dancing Christ. I really thought someone would have something to say this time. Too long? Should I have talked about how my boxers match my gloves and tank pad?

·
Registered
95 Posts
What would you like the other members to say, I mean you bought a used bike it's not running right so you're taking it to the shop. That's about the best thing you can do because they can do a complete inspection for you and let you know what's up.

I think you didn't get any comments because you had the answer for your problem...sweet bike though.

·
Premium Member
4,394 Posts
yep it looks like your under control and dont need us to comment ........ i did read it ... twice now LOL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts