Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
319 Posts
Depends on car and routine matainance. Just like a car. If you take car of it then it will last a very long time. Pulled in a ford expedition last month checked milage. It was at 528k miles. Poped the hood expecting to see oil everywhere. It's cleaner than 75% of cars I work on with 100k miles. Guy takes care of it. If it leaks he says replace it. I hear of bikes with 100k miles with stock gearing. Treat it right and it will last longer than you want to deal with it lol. Ever hear about that Chevy truck with over a million miles on it all original numbers matching. Matainance is the key!

· Registered
301 Posts
I know plenty of guys with over 50k miles on their sport bikes. All depends on how its maintained.

· Registered
127 Posts
I know plenty of guys with over 50k miles on their sport bikes. All depends on how its maintained.
I've got almost 30,000 on my '08 ZX 14.

Use Rotella Synthetic Oil and a an oil filter form Wal Mart.

Just can't stand Kawi pulling my pants down for a $15 oil filter.

Change my oil and filter every 3,000/ 5,000 miles.

Mike

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
how many miles is to many for a sport touring bike like the 14?
When the odometer says 00001 and the bike is obviously well worn.

· Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,875 Posts
I personally think it depends on the bikes condition it is just as bad to have a low mile bike that looks like hammered s**t as it is to have a really high miler that looks ok . The truth is if you find a bike that looks like it has been taken care of and the person selling it has maintenance records I would pay less attention to miles . I would also be likely to stereotype the owner (sad to say but true ) if it was owned by a younger guy I would look very closely at the bike and if I saw any trouble signs I would walk . Sorry younger guys but a lot of you (not all ) either hammer the crap out of your bikes or lack of knowledge of the bike gets you in trouble . I'm not trying to offend and I know there are plenty of good responsible young riders out there but there are also a lot of a** holes also , so for my money I would probably buy from an older guy who never rode his bike:rotflmao.

· Registered
941 Posts
how many miles is to many for a sport touring bike like the 14?
The engines use unleaded gas, have a rev limiter and because of the long gaps between valve adjustments, the engines are virtually maintenance free. Just change the oil.

I would expect a stock 14 would easily run well over a 100,000 miles.

A well lubed/adjusted chain, will get a lot of life out of that chain and sprockets. If you are a fast rider, then a Race Tech (my choice) suspension rebuild will keep the handling crisp above 15K miles.

I had almost 50 thousand miles on my ZX-11, when I sold it. It ran strong and was reliable. Some guys on the '11 forum are at 70 and 80 thousand miles.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Don't tell that to the bitch on ex500.com. She will argue you into your grave about how the 14 is not a supersport because its big, heavy, and "slow on the track" unlike her cbr600rr which is apparently the only definition of SS.

Even my 7R is not a SS. Because apparently being old takes away its classification.

· Premium Member
11,237 Posts
Thats what i said. She said I was stupid and I should spend more time getting an education than arguing with people.

I even posted that link. Well, not the 2012 one... but still.

· Registered
69 Posts
I've got almost 30,000 on my '08 ZX 14.

Use Rotella Synthetic Oil and a an oil filter form Wal Mart.

Just can't stand Kawi pulling my pants down for a $15 oil filter.

Change my oil and filter every 3,000/ 5,000 miles.

Mike
How ur 14 like the rotella I use to run it in the gsxr 750 shifting got harder so I went back to mobile 1.

· Registered
1,126 Posts
I tend not to put a label on my bike.It's the fastest quickest bike I ever rode.Don't need a liter tortue device.I'm pleased as hell.
Craig

· Registered
34 Posts
back to the topic of mileage..

I've got ~16,000 and only issue has been the weeping valve cover that was fixed with adding washers.
However, last year there was a guy who went from new york to deadhorse on his 14. Thing is, his 14 had over 50,000 miles on it when he started. His ride report is here.

http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php/topic,64050.0/all.html

This guy is simply awesome. His trip photos are here http://www.triplexxxridersmc.com/coppermine/index.php posted in the june 2011 time frame with the title Mission Alaska

· Registered
941 Posts
If the price is right, there's never too many miles.
The 14 is a super sport, not sport touring. Guys turn them into sport touring.
. . .then a ZX 6/R1 etc. is a "sport bike", a longer wheel base sport bike like a ZX-14, Hayabusa is "super sport", then a ZX-14 with saddle bags, tunnel bag, tank bag goes from "super sport" to "sport-touring"?

· Administrator
57,861 Posts
. . .then a ZX 6/R1 etc. is a "sport bike", a longer wheel base sport bike like a ZX-14, Hayabusa is "super sport", then a ZX-14 with saddle bags, tunnel bag, tank bag goes from "super sport" to "sport-touring"?
Still a super sport. You can add a bag to the front fender too, still a super sport. Feel free to call it a sport touring after redesigning it but it's still a super sport from the factory.
The ZX6R is also a super sport.
Concours is super sport touring since it comes like a touring bike from the factory. If you take all the bags off and lower the handlebars, it doesn't become a super sport.
Is that what you meant?:tard

· Registered
773 Posts

weather in the Pacific Northwest has stopped me a bit on racking up the miles. Gonna be a great day tomorrow to get out. But after our huge snow and ice storms I have to be very careful for all the debris on the roads. Gravel is everywhere.

I need to get away and head south I think to warmer climates soon!!!:smile

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.