Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. My name is Chris. This is my first posting; and I need a little help.
I recently bought me a 92 ZX-11. But, it won't start.
You see, it started just fine, every time, up until about 8 months ago; but then, it "sat" for 8 months with no attempt to start her up, once. She is beautiful, garage-kept, and all...and the deal on her was too good to pass up, even though I never heard her run. The person who owned her is a person of good-report, who is reliable to his word, and I even had other persons confirming the fact that the bike ran just fine 8 months ago.
Anyway, the gas tank was drained, the battery was changed; and all this was done without me.
I took it to a Kawasaki shop; but the mechanic and I could not agree on a price to clean the carb's. He told me that the carb's are sticky; and it would cost me about $450 to "fix" that, but he did not show them to me...and I was getting a funny feeling that things weren't kosher, if you know what I mean. He did not say anything, like if cleaning my carbs would fix my bike for it to start, etc, or if anything was guranteed.
So, I am going to do some work myself.
I also own a 2000 Suzuki Intruder. And, I have done some work on that, sucessfully. I know how to work.
Anyhow, does anybody know what I ought to do?
Please help.

·
Registered
66 Posts
check petcock> does fuel come out when you turn it to on? i know thats a silly question but weird stuff happens when a bike sits idle for a while. inspect fuel filter, and fuel pump. clean carbs.
now if the fuel system checks out ok. half the battle is won. electrical aint my thing. good luck , and have fun with your new toy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can I clean the carbs? I am not sure, whether I can, or not...but I probably could if I put my mind to it.
But, I gave somebody a call today, who works out of his garage; and he said that he will look at my bike as soon as I bring it over. He has experience, and all...plus he did some fair work on my Intruder awhile back, and for a reasonable price, sort of.
Either way, what do y'all think that a good price for a carb job ought to be?

·
Registered
990 Posts
Battery

Has the battery been maintained whilst the bike has been out of use, if not it will probably not have enough poke to start the bike. Check your battery is up to the job before looking for problems elsewhere.

Also is fuel getting to the carbs, if not check for an airlock in the fuel lines, they may need purging through.

Do usual check for spark, fuel & air (i.e. is the air filter clean)

Dirty/clogged up carbs will not normally stop a bike starting but can cause problems to the smooth/proper running of the engine. If the fuel tank was drained it will be unlikely that the carbs would be a problem as the problem with clogging is caused by fuel continually seeping into the carbs & evaporating over a long period of time. $450 is a ridiculous amount of money to remove, strip & clean carbs :rolleyes especially if that is not likely to be the problem.

·
Registered
649 Posts
What ever you don't know how to do - learn to do!!! It's part of the fun of owning a bike and saves you a grip of $$$$.

·
Registered
236 Posts
What Part Of Florida Are You In ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I live in Pensacola....and I have somebody 'looking' into the bike -- a couple of friends who work out of their garage. They do it for a living, and they get a lot of business. Plus, they love perplexing problems, like Sherlock Holmes loved to solve mysteries. If I had more time of mine own, I would love to try to do the work myself.
Anyhow, I thought the same thing that Shortcircuit said, about the bike not running well, if the carbs were a little clogged, BUT AT LEAST IT WOULD START. And, the battery was replaced with a new one, and the spark plugs were tested.
And, I thought, too, that $450 was a ridiculously high price to clean the carbs, especially when $295 was the price that was quoted to me at first, before the bike was opened and I was committed to a $65 charge for just an estimate. I felt that I was gouged and "being worked over," but I was willing to take the loss, according to faith...and move on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts