Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well as stated i got home from work this morning to find my bike not only moved about 4 feet. here is the funny part, they stole my worn out rain cover but left my expensive pitbull rear stand sitting next to my bike (thieves are retarded these days, what can i say in near detroit).

upon closer investigation i found 2 marks on the ring around my ignition switch and my ignition mechanism is now loose and the key receptacle is damaged (key still works)... i locked my triple tree and these retards couldnt break it (THANK THE LORD).

im not sure if it was the locked steering column which was damaged but not broken, or the fact my rear brake line was hanging off of the bike and my rear axle/wheel was loose (and on my rear stand). thankfully i still have my bike. i now have 2 additional theft deterrents, a thick steel braided line around my rear wheel and my covered parking spot post, and a solid hardened steel loop locked around my front wheel. if they still want my bike then my insurance can deal with it.

now to my question related to insurance. i have comprehensive coverage which covers theft. if they were to try again and succeed, what might my bike be worth to the insurance company? its a 98 zx7r, bike has 12843 miles on it with 1190 miles since the motor was completely rebuilt, polished rims, new brakes, Michelin pilot power 2ct tires have 2500 miles on them, custom blue paint job, MRA smoke double bubble windshield (the original double bubble ), LE racing suspension, blue LED's, front and rear flush mount turn signals, LED tail light, ZX9R/ZX6R mirrors, Muzzy radiator fan, exhaust is wrapped for heat reduction tape to the muffle, and real carbon fiber tank protector.

all said and done there are a few bumps/scratches from use, and i have all the documentation/pics to back everything up.

·
Registered
729 Posts
In a theft situation, or totaling out a vehicle (God forbid), it is always difficult to get more than the trade-in value of a stock vehicle. You would of course argue for private party (retail value), along with the increased value for your upgrades (backed-up with receipts and photographs). However, most people do not generally buy an extra / special insurance policy to cover collectible vehicles that have a higher value than the standard stock trade-in / private party (retail) value. I would take the position that the upgrades push your vehicle into the upper-end spectrum of the private party (retail value), rather than the stock trade-in value.

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
At best Kelly Blue Book lists it as $2,265 for excellent condition.

NADA Lists this:
Suggested List Price Low Retail Average Retail
$8,999 $1,650 $2,170

That's for zip 48201. You know and I know it's worth more than that. This is where the insurance companies ass-pound all of us. They'll give you the bare minimum to settle the claim and move on. So don't expect anything for all the upgrades, unless you have that specified in the insurance you're paying for.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Man you need a cycle shell. When i had a bad parking spot at my apartment i bought one. I still use it to this day. It is anchored to the ground with slag bolts so they can't steal it. If you can't see it. They wont be interested as much.

http://www.cycleshell.com/specs.html

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
Man you need a cycle shell. When i had a bad parking spot at my apartment i bought one. I still use it to this day. It is anchored to the ground with slag bolts so they can't steal it. If you can't see it. They wont be interested as much.

That thing is sweet and also reasonably priced

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
I'm a bit confused. Your bike sits outside and you put it on the rear stand? Or was the stand just sitting there?
You might have a hard time getting more than blue book value from an insurance company. They could care less what you did to it. Maybe if you had receipts and pictures of your bike.
I have $5000 of custom accessories added to my policy so that I can get extra money for my mods.
I wish someone would steal my bike.:evil

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
EZ the bike was on the rear stand to begin with because i was in the middle of replacing my rear brake caliper bracket (last week the rear caliper fell off my bike right after i got off the highway). when i had to leave for work, the rear wheel was back on but i didnt have the chain tensioned or rear wheel secured. hence why it was still up in the air. thankfully i locked my handle bars and the retard(s) unsuccessfully tried to pry/hammer my ignition off to unlock it after taking it off the stand. personally im happy they didnt drop my bike in the process

·
VP Whoring
14,930 Posts
I have $5000 of custom accessories added to my policy so that I can get extra money for my mods.
I wish someone would steal my bike.:evil
How much does that run a month/year for the extra coverage? What company do you use?

·
Registered
241 Posts

I have one of these. I don't use it anymore, as I put in a large shed to house and work on the bike.

I will say that it is a great product. I used it for 3 years with no problems at all. If you get one, just remember to put a UV protection spray on it every 2 months or so.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I like the shell idea. I wonder how long the motorcycle shell would hold up to the elements, including strong winds that sometimes rip through the neighborhood.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I've been running my cycle shell for 8 years now. It has never been cleaned or any uv stuffs used on it. Also if you cover gets ripped or worn out they will sell just a new cover for replacement. I live in Utah and we get horrible winters tons of snow and winds it seems to hold up well.......I just brush off the heavy snow when it piles up on top.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like the shell idea. I wonder how long the motorcycle shell would hold up to the elements, including strong winds that sometimes rip through the neighborhood.
Well like I said, I used mine for (3) years. It sat on the rear edge of my driveway, with a tree only to one side, so it sat in sun almost all the time. It went through a bunch of snows, a hail storm that dented the shit out of some of my neighbors cars (luckily mine and my wife's rides were at work), many a thunderstorm with winds, and summer suns that bake my yard every year.

You can spike it into pavement, so it isn't going anywhere.

Mine is still in good shape, with a little tiny bit of wear on the top of the cover, but doesn't leak at all.. Admittedly, I did not wipe it down consistently (as I recommended above to do).

I actually wouldn't mind selling it, but they aren't that expensive, so I would have to sell it for almost nothing, so I might as well keep it. I also considered taking it to work, and spiking it into the parking lot, but have not approached the owners about that one yet.

·
Administrator
58,646 Posts
How much does that run a month/year for the extra coverage? What company do you use?
Allied. it's a combined policy with home and cars and bikes.
I don't think it's any extra charge, at least it doesn't show anything extra on the policy. Just something the company had to offer. It's on all my vehicles and part of the program is to keep the same limits of coverage on everything.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
now to my question related to insurance. i have comprehensive coverage which covers theft. if they were to try again and succeed, what might my bike be worth to the insurance company?

Direct replacement for my ZX7R is $4600... that is what I am told...

now my brother had a VFR250 that was wrote off in a collision and he paid $1200 for it when he bought it... the insurance company gave him $1950, he bought the bike back for $200 (it was only cosmetic damage) and then he sold it for $1000 to some kid who jumped on it and rode it away happy as a pig in shit

It all depends... my insurance company requires pictures of my bike, and if i modify it (say replace the fairings with CF and paint the frame) they want to be aware so if there is an accident or theft they can visually see what they need to replace....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts