Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i posted this in a reply to another thread.....but wanted all owners to be aware of this.....IMO.....i think it should be a "sticky" along with a how to on the crankshaft bearing oil hole line up fix

the wheels on the shifter arm.....barely get on top of the "plateau" of the shifter drum....to stay in second....very easy for it to roll back into neutral......this is on alot on the zx bottoms end and tranny design......zx 900/1000/11 zrx concours.....i ground down about a quarter inch on the peg that stops the shifter from moving up.....this is under the cover....it allowed the trans to full move into second gear.....i did this when modding my crankshaft cap to line up oil holes as they should have been(when i repaired 3rd rod being spun).....i made sure the other gears were not moving to far forward and drum wasnt moving to far to go over.....since this mod makes the drum move forward for ALL the gears.......no problem.....all o0f gears,the shifter arm wheel is well on the platuea,in second,the wheel on the shift arm wants to just shove the drum backwards,and push it right out of second gear...

edit:not saying all zx's have this problem just bet it's more than a few

while i was in the motor i decided to take out the 3 all bearings that cause this motor to have its "positive nuetral finder".....its alittle harder to find nuetral for acouple of days to get use to it,but easy after......and i love that i can shift into second anytime i want to no matter what the revs,just as long as im rolling which is true with any tranny,...."no more block wall when trying to go into second at low revs : )

getting the shifter to move up alittle farther is all the zx motors needs to shift fine...you dont need cut trans and all,those are nice,but not the zx problem...mine shifts into second like butter......i took out the posi finder,cuase i didnt like having to spin up the motor to shift into second....thats just dumb to me...plus it does stop it from shifting into second sometimes when you want it too.but everyone has their opinion

ofcourse make sure theres no play in your shift lever and its adjusted good for you......sometimes people think its their tranny,when its one of these problems.

and probally 30% out there dont know how to shift properly and use the clutch,and end up damaging the tranny.....and/or they think their cool that they can shift without using their clutch...and end up srewing the timing of the revs/shift one or more times....and screw it up......just being honest....lol

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Another intersesting point is to use the "shifter preloading" method for gear change. I've been doing this for years now and I never missed a shift since then.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
good point Claude......reminds me also when i had so0me pro9blems and checked shift linkage....shift lever had some slack on the gear shaft....i tightened it up.....it might not seem like that little slack would keep it from engaging good....but it does......also if lever is too high you cant really bend foot far enough to get a solid shift

1 - 3 of 3 Posts