Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike is due for her first rear tire change and I was wondering your thoughts for the best bang for the buck. No track use (not yet) Just have the privilege of hitting the twisties on my way to school 5 days a week, and HW1 on the weekends.

·
Registered
75 Posts
i just put a shinko 190 on my bike and i love it...its cheaper than the dunlop but gives pretty damn good grip....after the slick newness wore off ive been draggin knees like chaaaamp

·
Banned
528 Posts
You really should be keeping it the same as what is ever on the front or change them both.
i agree, 2 tires won't handle are ride the same if they are different, also shinko makes a 003 tire and it's alot cheaper than most brand tires out there, great tire if u are lookin to hit the twisties up and maybe 1 day takin the bike to the track, it is a soft compund tire but dollar for dollar it's probly to me the best tire out there

·
Registered
165 Posts
i just put a shinko 190 on my bike and i love it...its cheaper than the dunlop but gives pretty damn good grip....after the slick newness wore off ive been draggin knees like chaaaamp
a friend of mine well kinda like n "online friend"
he pops the rear on those racks used to change the tires or something like tht
n gets sand paper n gets rid of the "newness slick" on the tire
so he can instantly start ridin it as oppose 2 tryin 2 wear it off
guess jus depends on ppls preference ..

·
Registered
116 Posts
a friend of mine well kinda like n "online friend"
he pops the rear on those racks used to change the tires or something like tht
n gets sand paper n gets rid of the "newness slick" on the tire
so he can instantly start ridin it as oppose 2 tryin 2 wear it off
guess jus depends on ppls preference ..
WOW:runaway :tard

You have to hate what text messaging is doing to the youth of our nation

·
Registered
102 Posts
I agree with keeping the same tire, at least make and model.. Tires are much MUCH more crucial on a motorcycle then a car. They change a lot from ride height, handleing to lean angles. the wrong tires or incompatible tires can make your bike ride like crap. if you are only going to change the rear get the same as whats in the front. I also suggest sticking with the proper width. A tire not meant for your rim will not last and perform how it should.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im going to stick with the oem to keep them the same untill next time when I need a set. I appreciate all the input.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yeah definately keep the same make and model of tyres, manufacturers dont make their tyres to work in unison with a different make of tyre, they spend millions to make them work together. Also remember it was how Joey Dunlop died, mis-matched tyres!!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
As everyone said, make sure the tires match... if you are going to replace both front and rear my personal preference for the $$ is Michelin Pilot Powers.

I don't have personal experience with shinko, but this thread is the first time I've ever heard anyone say anything good about them!

Also, don't change your tire size. Although it may seem that putting a 190 on instead of a 180 will allow you to take turns faster (fatter tire) it will change the entire geometry of the bike, and probably do more harm than good.

·
Registered
21 Posts
how does going up to a 190 effect the "whole" geometry of the bike? its one size wider than the 180? doesn't make sense to me. Everyone of my friends that have bikes upgrade to the 190 and nothing is wrong with there bikes.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I'm running a michelin power pilot on the rear and the stock bridgestone on the front. Going to change the front over to a pilot when I get home from this little voyage. I have nothing but good things to say about the pilot on the rear. It is the dual compound tire(soft on the edges and hard on center). I have noticed a difference in the twisties after the newness wore off the tire.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Read this to understand why you shouldn't put a 190 tire on a rim meant for a 180.

http://www.sportrider.com/tech/tires/146_0206_tire_size/

"Effectively, the wider tire will give more rake and trail when the bike is vertical, while keeping close to the original geometry when the bike is leaned over. Accounting for one (by changing ride height) will unduly affect the other."

That's how the "whole" geometry is affected.

I'm not saying you can't put a 190 on a 180 rim, I'm just saying that for your bike to perform at it's best you should keep the 180 on there.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts