Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

Best oil for Zx9r?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  The Heater 
#1 ·
Hello guys I have a 2003 zx9r love this bike. Never thought I would enjoy a carbed bike this much. I was doing some research looking for the best oil to put in my bike. I’ve used Shell rotella t6 I believe it’s called, I got it from a forum a while ago on here. I was doing more research and on the same forum it says not to use that it’s bad for our bikes. Is this correct and if it is what oil should I change it to?

#6 ·
I use Motul full synthetic. Made in France from vegetable oil, no dinosaurs were killed making it. There is one made in Switzerland, don't recall the name, I have also tried that. I have also used semi synthetic. 10-40. Other brands I have used include Spectro, Honda, Mobile 1, Belray, some others. I have also run Amsoil full synthetic. I have not had any clutch problems using synthetic and in my opinion my motor runs quieter and cooler on full synthetic. But I am fine to run full dinosaur oil as well if that is what is in my garage, so long as it is 10-40.

#7 ·
Shell Rotella T6 is great, and as stated above it is JASO rated for use in motorcycles with wet clutches: https://amzn.to/2wDOTau

I have used it for around 70,000 miles in my 2009 ZX-6R.

#8 ·
I am currently using Lucas 10w40 dino oil in 9R as it was on sale, bike seems to run fine on it! When I need to change I will move to sythetic 10w40, whatever is the cheapest. I did run T6 in my 97 Blackbird, 89 Katana 1100, 84 GS1150, 84 V65 , 08 ZX14, and 86 Gixxer 750 all w no issues what so ever! Will probably use it in my current 2000 9R and 96 ZX11

#9 ·
I prefer to use oil made for motorcycles. So I steer clear of stuff like Rotella even if theoretically it could be used in bikes. The percentages of certain elements like Zinc and Manganese varies depending on the intended application for the oil, and Rotella isn't manufactured for motorcycle service.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.