Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

just wondering what would be the best cruising RPM on my ZX7R? Is 6,000RPM too much? I tend to sit in fourth at around 6,000RPM when doing 80km/h, roughly. Should this be alright for my bike?

All replies are appreciated, cheers.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
If you're just cruising then keep it in 6th. The motor has more than enough power to load down to 2000 rpm and then ramp back up in 6th. Just don't bog it down trying to do something dumb.

Josh

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
it depends on how fast the speed limit is, personally i usually cruise in 6th on the highway at about 90 mph indicated and its usually about 5k rpm, any lower and it responds like an old lady

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
cant say i ever do 80km/h.... but generally what ever speed im cruising in i'm at about 5,000rpm... but my bike has 15/45 gears... so that makes a difference

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Interesting... 16/45 gears = 5000 rpm @ 62 mph for my old 93.

Josh

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks a lot guys! Just wanted to make sure I wasn't stressing the engine too much, or burning a shit ton more fuel than I need to be.

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
Interesting... 16/45 gears = 5000 rpm @ 62 mph for my old 93.

Josh
mine is the same

in 6th gear

5000 RPM = 100km/h
6000 RPM = 120km/h

and yes

10000 RPM = 200km/h

With that gearing the bike tops out around 260km/h

not that I ever go that fast :rolleyes

·
Registered
203 Posts
i don't think you have to worry about stressing the engine at all. not at 6,000. i think mine is spinning around 5500 at 60... i think.

what gear you choose in town is purely choice. this isn't meant to be an insult to anyone, but i can't justify the logic of running my bike at 6,000 at 35 or 45mph in town. seeing a bike go by at 35 hearing it for 5 blocks both ways... WWWAAAAAAAAAaaaaa...... just seems silly. the only logic i'd think would be "collision avoidance", but an idiot with Fosgates blasting in his ear won't hear you anyway. :crackup

i put around at about 2,000 myself. 2-3,000 in town. its charging fine and pumps coolant just fine at that speed.

to each his/her own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers guys! I also notice the temp rises to the notch before the redline when sitting at an intersection. I assume this is because it's air-cooled, right? When I get going again, it runs fine!

·
Registered
4,025 Posts
The bike is liquid cooled...

I would suggest flushing the coolant out and changing the thermostat... the bike is running too hot!!

also listen for the fan!! it should be kicking on!! if it isnt check all your fuses and wiring

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The bike is liquid cooled...

I would suggest flushing the coolant out and changing the thermostat... the bike is running too hot!!

also listen for the fan!! it should be kicking on!! if it isnt check all your fuses and wiring
Really? The bike just had a tune-up, wouldn't they check that stuff? For 800 bones I would hope they did! It has never reached too hot that it's got me really worried. When I'm moving it's fine, just when I'm at a light it gets a bit over the mid line. You know how long our lights are here in Ottawa, you sit there for 5 minutes sometimes.

By the way, I'm still up for a ride at any time man, shoot me a text if you want to go out this weekend or something, I'd love to see your new bike! ;)

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
If you're just cruising then keep it in 6th. The motor has more than enough power to load down to 2000 rpm and then ramp back up in 6th. Just don't bog it down trying to do something dumb.

Josh
Unless you are riding my bike.

But yeah, you wan't to be in the highest gear the motor will allow for the speed you are going when you are just going from a-b not in a hurry. If you are one of those d-bags who thinks you need emergency power "just in case" and rides around in 3rd gear at 12k rpm on the highway then you are not driving correctly to begin with.

If I am on the highway going 75 mph I am around 5500 rpm. Gearing commander puts the P-models at 85 mph (which is what in KMH I have no idea)@ 6k rpm in 6th gear, but lots of things can alter that one way or the other.

Had no problem "cruising" at over 100 mph for over 2 hours last fall on my way up north, so.. I wouldn't worry about the motor running high rpms for a length of time. I would worry about the gas tank if you have two more gears available to slow the motor down though.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unless you are riding my bike.

But yeah, you wan't to be in the highest gear the motor will allow for the speed you are going when you are just going from a-b not in a hurry. If you are one of those d-bags who thinks you need emergency power "just in case" and rides around in 3rd gear at 12k rpm on the highway then you are not driving correctly to begin with.

If I am on the highway going 75 mph I am around 5500 rpm. Gearing commander puts the P-models at 85 mph (which is what in KMH I have no idea)@ 6k rpm in 6th gear, but lots of things can alter that one way or the other.

Had no problem "cruising" at over 100 mph for over 2 hours last fall on my way up north, so.. I wouldn't worry about the motor running high rpms for a length of time. I would worry about the gas tank if you have two more gears available to slow the motor down though.

Cheers mate! I've got the hang of it now, and think my gearing is perfect. Not gonna lie, I tend to run it so I'll get above 6-7k RPM simply because I can't get enough of my Jardine screaming...Sounds great. On the highway, where I can't really hear it because of the wind anyway, I keep her in 6th.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate all the helpful responses :cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts