Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ZX-11
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the consensus on aftermarket power commanders/fuel-spark mapping controllers for my 1100D?
I welcome opinions, and shared experience, of what are considered best user friendly, performance, and compatible aftermarket products to buy.
Bike is still originally stock, unmodified, but have stage 2 jet kit and 4 into 1 exhaust.
Bought it last year, and have only had new set of Pirelli Diablo tires installed while at local shop, with full fluids change/service/inspection done,(to be on safe side if I missed something).
Then I installed a new chain/sprocket set, due to worn out links, and few chipped teeth on rear disc.
But haven't needed anything else this season, so just been riding as much as time and weather permit. (Currently live in Nebraska).

·
Registered
‘83 Gpz750 Resto-mod, ‘78 Kz1000 Resto-mod, ‘18 Z900RS
102 Posts
Power Commanders are for fuel injected bikes so it’s out. You can get a Dyna2000 but reviews are mixed. An alternative is to install an advanced ignition pickup plate if they’re still available.

But if the only mods are jetted carbs and a full exhaust system, there’s no reason to use anything other than the stock ignition system, in my opinion. Unless you like spending unnecessary money and/or for bragging rights.

Just my $0.02.

Later, Doug

·
Registered
2000 ZX-11
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Had very similar thoughts, just helps to lock decision in to plan when others concur.
Appreciate fast reply.
I think Dyna may still sell ign. advance/adjust plate.

·
Registered
275 Posts
There are better things to spend your money on. There's not much on the ZX11 that is operated by "black box" other than the ignition.

You can file the stock plate yourself for more advance and/or retard, then play with the adjustments until it feels good to you. Also, several members have converted to stick coils and had positive results.

Suspension comes to mind. I am currently running a YSS brand shock (no affiliation) which works very well especially considering the price point. I can feel them tracking the road surface, and the rebound damping adjustment actually makes a noticeable difference Up front ZZR1200 forks with adjustable rebound from '04-'05 work very well after servicing with an oil change and seals. You'll need the ZZR-1200 front fender too.

Starter chain tensioner mod. There are a couple of kits available, as well as several good discussion threads.

Braided stainless front brake lines, will give you better feel even if you don't change anything else.

90* valve stems make airing up less of a hassle.

The ZZR-1200 forks also accept GSXR-1000 K1 front brake calipers, without modification. I still haven't gotten mine to work properly, but many others have and are happy with the results. Still working on it.

LED headlight. Worthwhile.

Oil pressure gauge. Simple, cheap and necessary in my opinion. I have a write-up in my posts.

Spin-on oil filter adapter, not as cheap but a great addition. Bergmen Engineering Spin On Oil Filter Adapter

You can also play with rear sprockets . Trade a few mph at the very top for more torque multiplication down low for quicker acceleration, less gas mileage and a nearly useless 1st gear, if you over do-it.

All this will greatly improve the feel and functionality of the machine. I'm sure the rest of the guys here can provide myriad more suggestions. A combination of several of these things would probably cost less than the "Black Box" and be more of an improvement.

·
Registered
2000 ZX-11
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suggestions for cam chain tensioner, still auto-adjust stock, but makes a good amount more 'clatter' than it used to.
Thinking manual adjustable w/guides.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
Stick Coil conversion is a very nice addition to the ZX-11 that improves idle, acceleration & gas mileage.

Spin on Oil Filters r nice, but stainless steel filters trap more particulate.

Buy a Factory Pro Jet kit, K&N air cleaner & dont look back.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Suggestions for cam chain tensioner, still auto-adjust stock, but makes a good amount more 'clatter' than it used to.
Thinking manual adjustable w/guides.
For the chain tensioner you could look at this:

·
Registered
422 Posts
Stick Coil conversion is a very nice addition to the ZX-11 that improves idle, acceleration & gas mileage.

Spin on Oil Filters r nice, but stainless steel filters trap more particulate.

Buy a Factory Pro Jet kit, K&N air cleaner & dont look back.
To be honest, the stick coils looks wonderful once installed, but I hardly noticed any difference, and when the hot starting became an issue, the only solution was return to stock coils...

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
To be honest, the stick coils looks wonderful once installed, but I hardly noticed any difference, and when the hot starting became an issue, the only solution was return to stock coils...
The same exact experience I had (no difference at all on gas mileage, same idle, hot starting problem). Knowing this, I would never install stick coils again on a ZX11.

·
Registered
2000 ZX-11
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For the chain tensioner you could look at this:

Mine's cam chain tensioner.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts