Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
05/06 636
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I took off on a ride today to pick up some stuff, and when I stopped and killed my hi-beam, the bike died. I hit both the light switch and turned the ignition at about the same time, so I just shrugged it off and went into the store. I came back out, and the bike refused to start. The gauges looked like they were not getting enough power, and when I would hit the starter, I could hear the starter click once, and then nothing would happen. The gauges would just flicker. I finally get it to start, and start on my way just for it to lose power again while at speed and become a rolling dead stick, with the same issue again. My boy was able to get me home with his truck, thankfully.

Anyway, I tested the battery while it was on the bike, and it would read fully charged (12.7 volts) with the ignition off, and it would drop to around 3-7 volts with the ignition turned on, or it would read 12.7 with the ignition on, and then drop to 3-7 volts when I hit the start button. (When I would hit my 2nd cooling fan switch, ignition/gauges powered up) the fan would run fine, but then die when I hit the starter. I'm thinking that the battery is toast, but is there anything else that I should check?

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
try a new battery, what type of battery are you using?

·
Registered
05/06 636
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
try a new battery, what type of battery are you using?
I am using a lead acid YTX9-BS manufactured by a company out of Indiana called Chrome Battery. The battery has done well considering the conditions that it has been kept and used in. It just went bad all of the sudden. I am kinda wondering if that battery was also causing my speedo issue... :unsure::unsure::unsure:

·
Registered
1993 Zx-7 L Model, 2006 ZX-10R
3,277 Posts
I am using a lead acid YTX9-BS manufactured by a company out of Indiana called Chrome Battery. The battery has done well considering the conditions that it has been kept and used in. It just went bad all of the sudden. I am kinda wondering if that battery was also causing my speedo issue... :unsure::unsure::unsure:
I used to use an AGM battery in my bike. Never had an issue with it. When lithium batteries became more readily available and somewhat reasonably priced, I replaced the AGM with lithium. Also no issues. Hopefully a fresh battery fixes your issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
With the bike idling check the voltage. You need to be getting 14 to 14.5 at idle or the stator is dying. Much above 14.5 and your regulator is toast.

After you check the idle voltage rev the bike to around 5k. You should not be seeing much change in voltage at the battery. Again, if it's rising when the engine spins up the regulator has mailed it in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts