Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2009 14 NEW, in Nov of '08. What is a reasonable life expectancy for a moto battery that is ridden weekly WITHOUT a tender hooked up? I am curious to know how many years you all are getting out of your batt's, because Ive never owned a moto this long. A couple times already, my battery went as low as 10.2 v from sitting a few weeks, and the 14 still started, but barely :clap.

Should I change-out a four year battery for peace of mind? Keep in mind: 1) I dont own a battery tender. 2) I live in the warmer climate of southern california. Thanks in advance :thumbup

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
I don't have that big of a bike, but my 250 I just sold with the og battery (2007). It starts right up without a problem. My 2007 zx6 came with a new battery (at least that is what the guy said) and I changed it this past winter.

So 2 to 4 years just depending on what you do with it. If you don't ride it for a month at a time then go buy a tender.

But next time you go and get a battery get the lithium ion kind. They are also very light weight. It reduced the weight by several pounds in my 6r.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
My 08 still has the original battery . A good quality battery will last about 5 years . A piece of s**t will last a year sometimes less . My 900rr gets a battery about every 5 years since 1998 when I bought it . This is about average , you may get more or less depending on the circumstances.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Again, thanks everyone for your advice and input.

Like Wardie recommended, I'm thinking to get a "Ballistics Performance EVO2" Lithium 12 cell, when I do change out my OEM battery. I like the idea of the lighter weight and durability of the Lithium cell. When i do get one, I'll post a quick review on my experience with that battery, to let you all know how it works.

·
Registered
389 Posts
My 2007 ZX14 had the original battery in it when I traded it in last month. I live in Michigan so in the winter I removed the battery and stored it in the house with no tender. In the spring, reinstall and it always started right up!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 2007 ZX14 had the original battery in it when I traded it in last month. I live in Michigan so in the winter I removed the battery and stored it in the house with no tender. In the spring, reinstall and it always started right up!
Wow ... cool story. Good to hear that method was successful.

·
Registered
10,439 Posts
Again, thanks everyone for your advice and input.

Like Wardie recommended, I'm thinking to get a "Ballistics Performance EVO2" Lithium 12 cell, when I do change out my OEM battery. I like the idea of the lighter weight and durability of the Lithium cell. When i do get one, I'll post a quick review on my experience with that battery, to let you all know how it works.
just remember if u need a tender you have to buy the lithium ion one. the Reg ones don't work and will mess it up. just fyi

·
Registered
11 Posts
i would REALLY look into the shorai's before you pull the trigger on the ballistic. the 2-year no questions asked warranty of the shorai is worth that imo. i've heard HORROR stories about ballistic's customer service...

just my two cents.

·
Registered
116 Posts
my 06 still has the oem battery and starts easy everytime.....granted my bike doesn't sit for even a week at a time.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i would REALLY look into the shorai's before you pull the trigger on the ballistic. the 2-year no questions asked warranty of the shorai is worth that imo. i've heard HORROR stories about ballistic's customer service...

just my two cents.
Thanks 2001. I'll look into it on your recommendation.

·
Registered
11 Posts
(most call me agg) ;)

either way... good luck man. speedcell is the original, i believe.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
07 replaced last year, i keep her on tender alot, however one tme day i killed it messing with my led's and since then it was never the same and it just died one day and wouldn't start.

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
Anytime a battery is fully discharged, it will only take a lesser percentage of re-charge. Deep-cycle batteries, like those in boats with trolling motors, last longer, because they are made to be discharged and recharged repeatedly.

There are stories all over the board of batteries lasting one year or a dozen and counting. Anytime a battery lasts over 2 years in a motorcycle, it's a pretty good one. If one lasts 10 years, there has to be an element of good luck involved. Bottom line, if it works, don't fix it. But if a 10-yr.-old battery dies and leaves you stranded, kiss it when you swap it for a new one.

·
Quinton Phuckin Tarantino
18,914 Posts
Anytime a battery is fully discharged, it will only take a lesser percentage of re-charge. Deep-cycle batteries, like those in boats with trolling motors, last longer, because they are made to be discharged and recharged repeatedly.

There are stories all over the board of batteries lasting one year or a dozen and counting. Anytime a battery lasts over 2 years in a motorcycle, it's a pretty good one. If one lasts 10 years, there has to be an element of good luck involved. Bottom line, if it works, don't fix it. But if a 10-yr.-old battery dies and leaves you stranded, kiss it when you swap it for a new one.
+1 I've never had one last 10 years but in Arizona I don't think I ever will either . The heat just kills them .

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
The last one I bought lasted 4 years, but when it died, that was it. I replaced it with a gel battery that I pulled out of the 12 before the salvager got it and put it in the 14. Gave the 14's old battery to a friend who has since sold the bike it went into, so no clue as to it's age. Gel batteries are supposed to last twice as long as a normal lead-acid battery and don't require a special charger.

·
Administrator
58,566 Posts
I agree with HH. It's the luck of the draw. My battery could die tomorrow. I should replace it since I haven't seen any of my batteries last very long here in the heat. But I could buy a new battery and it might die in less than a year. I've had it happen.
I also don't use battery tenders. I don't see them make the battery last any longer. A friend of mine uses them on all his batteries and the only nice thing is that he usually has a charged battery when he needs it. But he replaces batteries just as quick as anyone else.

·
Premium Member
13,118 Posts
I think tenders keep a battery on full charge, which is good, but the most common cause of battery failure on a motorcycle isn't repeated discharges, it's a broken internal connection due to vibration. Not only mechanical vibration, but the kind that comes from traveling less-than-perfect roads. that's why instead of getting weak over time, they usually just shoot crap all of a sudden and it's over.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts