Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I wouldn't do either of those...

For good warranty and easy access I highly recommend Walmart Everstart ES12BS, I have well over 7 years on mine

For an AGM the Scorpion is nice or the X2 or Permaseal from Batteries --+

Josh

·
Registered
1,619 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
IVe had several of the Wal-Mart Everstart deals. Great when your in a money pinch.....But otherwise a cheap battery in my opinion. Ive been dealing with batteries for almost 20 years and Im well versed in battery maintenance, however my Wal-Mart specials tend to not last.
Im currently running a Ballistic Lithium. Absolutely no issues No maintenance, 1/3 the weight of stock, 1/3 the size. But a bit on the costly side. $145 for mine.
You can talk to 100 different memebers and get 100 different responses. In the end its all going to be up to you or your wallet.

good Luck in whatever you choose. Paul

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
IVe had several of the Wal-Mart Everstart deals. Great when your in a money pinch.....But otherwise a cheap battery in my opinion. Ive been dealing with batteries for almost 20 years and Im well versed in battery maintenance, however my Wal-Mart specials tend to not last.
Im currently running a Ballistic Lithium. Absolutely no issues No maintenance, 1/3 the weight of stock, 1/3 the size. But a bit on the costly side. $145 for mine.
You can talk to 100 different memebers and get 100 different responses. In the end its all going to be up to you or your wallet.

good Luck in whatever you choose. Paul
I agree.
I still have the original battery in my 2007 zx14. Not sure if I want to spend $145 when it's time. How long have you had that battery?
The 14 battery is a pita to get to. I've never had to charge it. Not sure why they don't have jumper posts that are EZ to get to just in case of an emergency.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
With the OP being in Pennsy I wouldnt recommend running a Ballistic or any battery based on the Li-Po A123 battery. I have (which is for sale) and tried a lightweight battery and it was tough to get the bike started when it was 40 outside. Even being garage kept in was difficult soni out my trusty Wally-Wold battery back in.

Being in Florida that likely isn't an issue for you.

Josh

·
Administrator
58,569 Posts
That's sort of what i was wondering.
Nothing against the newer batteries. I'm sort of the opposite. When it's 110* outside, my garage can get over 120*. I try to bring in my nicad batteries from my power tools since heat can ruin them. Not sure about the lithium batts.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
That's sort of what i was wondering.
Nothing against the newer batteries. I'm sort of the opposite. When it's 110* outside, my garage can get over 120*. I try to bring in my nicad batteries from my power tools since heat can ruin them. Not sure about the lithium batts.
I got the A123 battery in September/October so I got a fair amount of cold weather mornings in before the season was done and the battery was perfectly fine above 60 degrees, but as soon as the temps dipped into the 30s and 40s it was a dud.

And I want my bike to start instantly and not fight it 2 or 3 times waiting for those batteries to heat up.

Now the Ballistic is slightly different using Li-iron instead of Li-Po but I've heard plenty of the same reports regarding cold weather starts.

BTW my garage keeps a pretty steady 50 when the temps drop even to 0 but it seems to still make a difference in the mornings with that battery.

Josh

·
Registered
84 Posts
My apologies,
Didnt give a thought to cold weather for you folks. Being in Florida tends to make you forget the cold.

Im a transplant here from Ohio so Im no stranger to cold weather riding days.

Paul

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
My apologies,
Didnt give a thought to cold weather for you folks. Being in Florida tends to make you forget the cold.

Im a transplant here from Ohio so Im no stranger to cold weather riding days.

Paul
You have 2 ZX7's? Does one have a normal battery and the other the ballistic? Do to notice any difference at all in starter cranking between them?

Just curious...

Seems there are quite a few Floridian 7 owners here.

Josh

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll have the battery checked before I purchase a new one. The scorpion looks pretty good, similarly priced with the walmart one, and the warranty makes it look better. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Being in Florida tends to make you forget the cold.
I need to start migrating south for the winter.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I'll have the battery checked before I purchase a new one. The scorpion looks pretty good, similarly priced with the walmart one, and the warranty makes it look better. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I need to start migrating south for the winter.
The Scorpion gets good reviews and is a nice price. But if you have a Batteries Plus near you check out their X2 line of Permaseal batteries. About $70-80, AGM technology, 2 year warranty and my favorite part MADE IN USA

I thought my Wally-World battery was kicking the bucket a couple weeks ago :crazyloco and was about to snag one, but a good charge and it came back to life :banghead

Josh

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I migrated west from the midwest.
I used to deal with batteries in subzero weather, now it's the extreme heat.
A family friend moved to phoenix about 12 years ago, back to PA almost 2 years ago, and finally just back to phoenix last month.

The Scorpion gets good reviews and is a nice price. But if you have a Batteries Plus near you check out their X2 line of Permaseal batteries. About $70-80, AGM technology, 2 year warranty and my favorite part MADE IN USA
I have a couple batteries plus near-by, I'll check them out when I have my current one checked

·
Registered
84 Posts
You have 2 ZX7's? Does one have a normal battery and the other the ballistic? Do to notice any difference at all in starter cranking between them?

Just curious...

Seems there are quite a few Floridian 7 owners here.

Josh
Yes I have two 7's both are 98's. ( one now belongs to my girl as of last month )
One is all stock, the other only slightly modded.
The stocker is running the Wal-Mart Special and the modded one is running the Ballistic.

But here is what got me interested in the Ballistic EVO2
No trickle charger required, loses only 10% of charge over a year of static use
Dimensions 113MM (L) x 60MM (W) x 100MM (H)
Weight 730 grams, 1lb 10oz
Voltage (Charged) 13.6V
Amperage 4.6Ah
Cold Cranking Amps 240A pulse
Operating Environment -30°C (-22°F) to 60°C (140°F)
8 Cell EVO 2
And something else.....MADE IN THE USA!!!!

With the everstart batteries I have a few of them, I have the ES9BS, The ES12AA, and Somehow I ended up with the 14 ( cant think of the numbers for that one ) The 12 and the 9 were new from Wal-Mart. I was in a pinch and needed a battery while at Daytona Bike Week last year , Wal-Mart only had the 12 in stock, it didnt quite fit , but a quick mod to the seat and a little while on a charger and I was off.
The 9 was bought new when I made it home to replace the incorrect 12.
However neither of these seem to want to hold a charge for very long.

While I was working I didnt get to ride or even make it home for a week.
I got home and the bike only clicked, had to cycle the battery a time or two before I was good.
So the 12 ended up in my 660 raptor. And did ok for a few months, then ended up with the same issue as the 9. Back to Wally World for replacements, 3 months down the road......same issues.
So this is my reason for not being fond of Everstarts.

Now as far as cranking goes.....The Everstart will drag down really quick on a cold morning. It will start either of the bikes but just not as easily as the Ballistic.
This is my second Ballistic Evo2. ( Sold the other one to a buddy in need while my bikes were down for carb work )
Otherwise I would have two of them.

The Ballistic.....No issues.

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts