Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any experience or heard any feedback on Barracuda exhausts? Considering a full system...

https://www.barracudaexhaust.com/

They look legit but they're German so I don't have much to go on. Unless they're absolute garbage, I'm going with them because they're the only manufacturer who still makes new systems for my antique.

Let's hear it!

·
Premium Member
13,105 Posts
They look like pretty good kit and seem to have a lot of offerings for current as well as non-current models. Sounds like you don't have much choice.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree, I've just never heard of them... I'm used to M4, Yoshimura, Akrapovic, etc. I do like the rare and unusual so this will probably be a great fit!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've come across some interesting info. I've been searching for a more immediate solution to finding an exhaust for my GPZ900R and have really been digging the interwebs and picking the brains of manufacturers who still produce. Got in contact with the English company called Predator Exhausts.

Just to immortalize this info, even for my own sake, I'm posting this here because it's genuinely interesting, and serves to prove how important it is to call and confirm details when placing orders on parts for old @$$ bikes!

Me: Is the Predator 4-2-1 complete road legal exhaust system still available? I'm hoping to get this full system sometime later this month! Thank you

Sales: Hi. Ok there's a small technical problem going on with the website at the moment so I can't get that sorted out until a couple of days from now so we're showing the wrong information for your bike on the website. In brief there is a system that should be the correct one for your bike however I need the full frame number to check it. There is an ongoing production problem from the factory which is producing this the moment and it can only be done in a non polished version which is referred to as the brushed version. This is a personal problem and cannot be got around for some time. If it's the right system for that bike and I'm reasonably sure it probably is the price for the brushed (non polished) version. Is £485 Plus shipping. (free shipping in the UK main land). This is not immediately available it would have to be made and there would be a delay of somewhere between 4 to 6 weeks possibly longer.

Me: Thanks for getting back wtih me! Full disclosure; I'm in Michigan, USA, and am unsure of any shipping fees beyond what Customs might charge. If you're aware of these amounts let me know, if not no problem! I'm work in e-commerce sales for a track-day / race-day outfitter so I understand the wait time. (Gave him my VIN, explained I only have a head bypass line as a modification). If you can produce a brushed version I'd prefer that anyway - pictures would sweeten the deal. (There's more but this is lengthy as it is. I assumed Predator and Motad were the same company - definitely wrong)!

Sales: Michigan USA, last time we sent a system to the United States of America it cost us £120 (British pounds sterling) with a respectable courier and fully insured. We don't send systems across the world anywhere without fully insuring them, as over the year we have had some horrible disasters in the past, but when they are fully insured no matter what happens sooner or later we end up getting the money back or a replacement system to the customer. Disasters in shipping happens way too often for our liking however it's a fact of sending long distance. American customs we've had some problems with them over the years. It seems to us that you will get quite a few years where you will have no problems whatsoever with the US customs and then all of a sudden you will get every single item you send across the United States getting hung up by them. It has not happened for a while so it's probably due to happen now. That a question of Murphy's Law.

Customs duty that's a strange one as well we have had situations where the customers had it goes straight through with no Duty whatsoever, on the other hand we had situations where it's gone into Customs got hung up, Customs have demanded extra money from the customer. However we can not understand how the method works or what's it seems to be based on, bad luck more than logic if you ask me. I can tell you that with the reputable couriers who ship to United States of America we normally have to fill out a Customs declaration form in triplicate or more but sometimes no matter what we do it seems to get Hung Up For Reasons we don't quite understand. If you are looking for averages I would say about 1 in 20 gets hung up the reasons we don't understand and we have the go harassing the courier to find out what's going on but sooner or later normally whatever the logjam is gets unplugged but sometimes we have to poke the courier a few time to get things moving, this can sometimes go on for weeks. But mostly it straightforward but not always.

Good to know it's a standard one we will check out the frame number and get back to you on that.

Predator recently changed premises so there's a bit of upheaval going on with them at the moment this is making things a little bit bumpy on their output at the moment.
I know Predator goes really well and they are sometimes interesting to deal with, but they always come through in the end.
Predator and Motad are completely independent companies of each other and always have been. Motad was slightly up north near a place called Birmingham and Predator are not far away from London different parts of the country. The owners were different and the people were different. I personally knew everybody worth knowing in both companies.

Motad, was originally owned by a couple of guys who started making exhaust in the Birmingham area back in the 70s. They ran things on a Shoestring budget got a bit too big for themselves and went bust a few times and then a few people put money into them and eventually they got to the point where they were profitable after going up and down a few times. Eventually they had about 30 employees and were building most of the exhaust systems made in the United Kingdom for whomever. Sometime in the 90s they got a bit overloaded, at that time Predators weren't operating at a large scale but were operating. They cut a deal with Predators over a larger scale order from triumph and ended up subcontracting Predators to do some of the work for them because they couldn't keep up with the capacity necessary. From that point on they had a trading relationship where they would help each other out from time to time, mostly Motad would send help out to work at Predator.

About 10 years ago Motad sold out ,as in the original owners sold out to a new owner, the new owner tried to expand the company. They did quite well for a while and then decided to invest in an Italian company specializing in scooter exhaust in Italy as part of the expansion. However the deal was not quite what it seemed and was actually a massive rip-off. The rumors that came out were that it was something to do with a higher level Minister in the Italian government trying to keep Italian manufacturers for motorbikes only in their country but also there were rumors that it was the mafia involved no one's quite sure.

I don't quite know but it ended up in a situation where Motad ended owing about a million pounds to the European Union or Italian government or something like that. Well as it already spent out about two or three million getting the Italian scooter exhaust manufacturing company they didn't have the million on top and it took Motad out completely. The company went under and all the assets were sold off and that's the end of Motad. The Motad plans and name were sold to a French guy who was allegedly going to start up a factory in France but that has never happened.

But what a lot of people did not know is because of the cooperation that was going on with Predator, some (not all) of the jigs that we used to make some of the Motad systems stayed with Predator, and are predators property. Because Predator makes their own silencer there was no issue, with the jigs for the downpipe, leak pipe and connectors which was they can legitimately use.
However all complete systems made by Predator are Predator systems only - any similarity to systems made by any other companies are purely coincidence.

Predator is now the last manufacturer of any scale in the United Kingdom making exhaust systems for motorbike. However Predator was not, and has never been a large-scale company, it is a small to medium sized company and has great difficulty keeping up with the request of exhaust at the height of the season because it's the only manufacturer left of any scale in this country.

I hope this answers all your questions - we will check out the frame number and probably get back to you after the weekend.

Tried fixing all the grammar and spelling errors salvagable LOL. Kinda cool this guy just spilled his guts about this company, I get the feeling Motad and Predator were both very good!

All this searching and I still can't get a solid guarantee for an exhaust system for my bike... but I'll be damned if I don't get some good stories!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts