Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
do you have a manual for it?

drain the oil out by taking the bolt out of the bottom of the fork then to get the dust seal out just use a flat blade screw driver and pry it up then take a smaller screw driver to get the spring clip out then you have to either grab both the upper and lower parts or use a vice for the lower then slide the parts apart same motion as a slide hammer till the seal comes out. now you will have the inner out of the outer tube.

you realy should get the manual tho. I can't do it now but I can try to get the pages for you and either post them or send them to you.

·
Registered
201 Posts
In the past I have just used a screwwdriver to pry the seal out without having to take the fork apart. if you can enough force on the seal the side willcrush in and you can pry the seal out that way. good luck.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Another way to remove a seal is to remove the fork, fill it completely with oil, then compress it between a car wheel and a wall with a bottle jack. The oil pressure will push the seal out. Don't forget to remove the spring clip first.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks guys, I do have the manual but all it says is remove the seal. Just wanted to make sure that using the tube as a slide hammer wouldn't destroy anything.:scared

Well I went back and looked at the manual and had I been patient enough to turn the page there was my answer, boy do I feel stupid!

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have missed things too so don't feel bad. attention to detail is important when working on the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I started thinking about the seal fix as I looked at the fork dissassembled, the bike has about 46,000 miles on it the bushing surfaces look a little worn, show very minimal but visible play. Should the bushings be replaced while I'm at it? Also can we buy the special tool to reinstall the seal or just use the old seal to tap down the new one?

·
Registered
196 Posts
I believe the book will tell you that you should replace the bushings anytime you take the forks apart. I replaced them when I rebuilt mine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts