Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently took my carburetors apart an noticed that when the choke lever is pushed away from you it closes the hole in the top of the carburetor...

shouldn't pushing the lever away from you open the choke and allow more air in?

I just upgraded from a ninja 500 where the choke was "normal", it seems that the choke on this bike is backwards.

am I understanding how a choke works correctly? and could you tell me if my bike is wierd, or if all zx-11s are this way.

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
More air in would be leaner? Chokes are to enrichen the mixture. But what is happening is that the port that is opened allows more air to bypass the diaphram and that cause the slide to come up later basically acting like a choke butterfly.

Now someone will tell you what is really happening :rotflmao

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
A choke does not allow more air in, it allows more fuel. At least on newer carbs.

A choke is called a choke because originally it literally choked the motor to allow less air in. Then someone found out that adding more fuel works better. So it is technically an enrichment device.

Sounds to me like it is just a different type of carb, and is not what you are used to.

The "choke" on a 500 should be of the type that dumps more fuel too, afaik. I could be wrong, I never had to mess with my 500 in the 5500 miles I had it (4 months lol)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts