Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had a '94 zx-6 since '95 and love the thing to pieces, do most of my own basic maintenance but want to start getting into it a little bit more after having read a lot of the mod posts. Got the bike out of the shed one spring, did my synthetic oil change, but the battery wouldn't keep a charge. I bought a new one (they gave me the wrong size), it was too tall for the terminals to reach so I turned the battery around and hooked em up.... backwards, aaaayyyyeeeee!!!! Heard a pop, checked the main fuse closest to the battery and it was fine. Now I'm at a loss and didn't have the time to go into it any deeper. My wife was glad I wouldn't be risking my life anymore now that I have 3 kids and no time to take off the plastic to find the problem, so the bike got stabilizer put into the fuel and she just sat...
Fast forward 3 years, have a new house with a garage, the honey-do-list is all caught up, kids see the bike almost daily and are itching to get on the back, and I now have the time to fix the problem. Pull off the plastic, find a blown fuse on top of the starter, replace it and everything lights up now! Kicking myself because I've been off the road for 3 years because of an F'ing fuse. The bike turned over, but I didn't want to fire it up until getting everything back in order. I've drained the gas out of the tank and carbs, went to change the oil but it was still crystal clear so decided not to, changed the header pipe portion of the exhaust because I had a hole underneath the bike, put in a new hi-flow air filter and inline gas filter, and I'm putting it all back together now.
I was planning on putting some carb cleaner additive in the empty tank and sucking it into the carbs to sit for a couple days but other then that I think I'm just gonna try and start it up.
Anyone have any other ideas before I get it all back together? Should I change the plugs? Drain and change the coolant, or the oil even tho its synthetic and looks new? I really don't want to take it apart again once I'm back on the road. There's not much of a riding season left up here in Niagara Falls, but if I can get a couple months of riding in before the snow falls I know I'll feel better about paying for the insurance to have it back on the road. Thanx in advance everyone. J
Hi mate I too have accidentally connected the battery the wrong way round, when you say you changed a fuse on top of the starter do you mean the one on the solenoid?

·
Registered
80,81 GS750L, 81 XS1100, 85 FJ1100, 96 GPZ11 (1200 EFI PROJECT), 03 VT11, 06 VT600, 12 ZX14R, 67 C20
153 Posts
Check ur cable routing, something is incorrect so its pulling when u turn the bars. I like seafoam for carburetors after theyve sat (even just for the winter), cleans out the varnish unless its actually plugged. Shouldnt need to sync the carbs unless u seperated them and/or set valve clearances. Yamaha used to make a carb cleaner/additive (no longer available) that we use for PITA carbs. Fill em up n let em sit over the weekend. Then drain em n usually cleans even the rust out. Sometimes needs a little heat to go w the stuff tho.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts