Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Just rolled in tonight from my 2,090 mile trip across five states. Highlights included:

1) Tail of the Dragon

2) Cherahala Skyway

3) Foothills Parkway

4) Blueridge Parkway

5) A ride along HWY 119 in Tennessee that blew the Dragon away (We coined it the Dragon Slayer)

6) HWY 60 in West Virginia

7) New River Gorge Bridge in WV (including the trip down an AWESOME road to the bottom of the gorge.

8) The Ironhorse Lodge (Motorcycles only campground near Robbinsville, NC)

Of course there are TONS of roads I have missed, as we just took off in any direction we chose, especially on the last day when heading from WV to VA. We did not put rubber on an interstate (major highway) for even one minute on the last day. Some notes on the places...

Blue Ridge Parkway: Took this on the way down to Maggie Valley, at the base of the Smokies. Wonderful ride, not real challenging, but gave us a chanceto look at the scenery. Came up on a pretty bad bike accident here, two Goldwings coming down collided with a full dress Harley coming up. All six people injured. Terrible.

The Dragon: Rode this twice. Every word you read about it is true, a wonderfully challenging road. I actually dragged my left toe a couple of times and decided that I didnt wat to end up like the bikes in the previous paragraph, so took it easy from then on. Saw only one cop, WAY past the end of the run. This might be because we ran it at around 8:00 am both times.

Cherahola Skyway: Same as the last, and same as I will say about every other run in this post. B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!!

All right, you get the gist of this. GO THERE!!! RIDE THEM!!! Highway 28 is a great ride as well, take it often. Now, the bike...

I will NEVER need another bike. The C14 was perfect for all of the rides above. I averaged 38.5 mpg for the whole trip, which was very good as much of it was uphill. Had to stop and fuel a little more often than I would have liked, but the ups still outweigh the downs.
I have read up on the VVT, but never appreciated it until this trip. I'll bet I saved countless hours of downshifting thanks to the VVT. My buddy was on a Road Glide, and I easily kept up with him on the twisties in 3rd gear. VERY few turns required 2nd, most of the times I selected in were for fun only. The long uphill straights on the interstate/highways could be taken in 6th as long as you had good speed on the bottom end.
We had five perfect weather days, and one that would have drowned a trout. It was during this one that I learned never to assume that what one person writes wbout will work for you too. Dont know who it was that said the fairing protects your lower half from the rain, but he must have had much smaller rain than they do in West Virginia... I got SOAKED. Water got into the controls as well, my high-beam light stayed on for the rest of the day (though both beams worked fine. So before doing this again I will invest in a set of quality rain pants.
Other than the headlight indicator, I had no other problems. My C14 lacks nothing other than a good cleaning. The link below will take you to the pics from the trip. Post any questions you have and I will answer them as I am able.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...&MyToken=2897321f-45bd-4210-b465-eafb136ca699

·
Registered
228 Posts
Going Kawasaki green with envy, glad your trip was a good one.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Glad you had a safe trip, sounds excellent. Can't get to view the photos I'm afraid.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Welcome Home Buddy!!!!

Awesome trip report and pics...

Glad you're ok... I was being a momma hen and starting to wonder what happened to ya..

I"ll check it out more later.. I'm on my way to Atco NJ for the big Top fuel and Funny Bike Racing today....

See you on the road,

Jerry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts