Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was checking out the oem ignition parts on a website today and noticed that the coils for the zx9b's must not be in production anymore. Aside from trying to find good used ones are there any upgrades that can be done to my 97? I know the newer 9's have those "stick" coils right on top of the plugs, are there any aftermarket ones for the b's?

·
Registered
249 Posts
i think it comes with the that, basically that unit is the coils, it replaces them. should come with the plugs too.

·
Registered
249 Posts
if i had the money i would get them too, along with some FCR 41mm carbs. but ya, its a good kit from what i hear

·
Registered
112 Posts
Dyna coils are junk. I had them on my bike. Both of them failed. One when I was on my way back from Florida (I live in Seattle area), in the middle of the desert in AZ. The second one did it half way to a motorcycle rally in OR. They are complete garbage, and I wouldn't put them on any bike I own.

Accel makes aftermarket coils, and I have used those. They do require modifications to mount them in the bike. You will need to do some mild fabricating to mount them.

I was able to get OEM coils for my '96, but it was not this year. If they stopped making them that really sucks.

I took out my Dyna ignition system and am going back to the OEM ignition. Too many problems with timing not being correct.

·
Registered
249 Posts
well maybe you got a bad unit, i havent heard anything bad about them. he should do alot of research before he buys it. or maybe your right. who knows. i was just answering his question to lead him on the right path and maybe find a better unit than the dyna. I hope some other people more knowledgeable than I can chime in who have experience with the Dyna, the more reviews the better.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I stumbled across a couple of posts mentioning the dyna coils being bad. I'll have to research it more. I won't be needing any for awhile hopefully, but it's good to have a gameplan. Fabrication isn't a huge problem for me as long as I can do it with sheetmetal or some welding. I'd rather have something bike-specific though. Thanks for the ideas! Anybody else have any good or bad opinions for the dyna's?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts