Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

So I thought to myself the other day, I have always liked the 12R and if I don't get one soon they will all go extinct in the near future and I would have missed this engineering excercise by Kawasaki. So of course I hunted around for a while and found a Titanium Silver "2003" model (which I suspect is actually an A1) that is still in very good nick considering its age, stock standard apart from the double bubble MRA screen and Pyramid plastics hugger (which looks like it's seen better days) with only 45k kms on the clock. In fact it was so standard I had to vacuum what I believe to be the original air filter out of the air box and I'm sure the chain was also the original still (had to be replaced also). So apart from the above and of course the complimentary slightly warped front discs (which I'll replace in the next week or two along with braided lines and a caliper rebuild) it still runs really well. It even shook it's head at me yesterday when I got a bit excited with the throttle getting onto the highway, just like my old ZX10R (2008) used to do.

Anyway, long story short , the gear shift is quite easy, not Honda easy, but it's not like a BMW boxer gearbox either. It is quite audible though, as if you are shifting the gears from side to side with a small sledge hammer. Would that be considered normal?

I've ridden a fair few motorcycles over the last 20 years and I never recall being able to hear a gear change like this. It all seems to work as it should so I'm not really concerned, more intrigued really.

Thanks,
R

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
224 Posts
Is there any play in the rear cush drive between the wheel and rear sprocket, as this might exaggerate gear change noise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried moving the wheel by hand while in gear and on the Paddock stand but could not see any play. I'll have a closer look when I take the wheels off in a week or so for the brake disc change.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Checked the back wheel again yesterday and there is a small amount of play in the cush drive.

Strange thing also is that it does not always sound noisy. Sometimes the shift is quick and soundless. Also does not seem to be related to a specific gear/s.

·
Registered
224 Posts
If you can't live with the slack in the drive train at the rear wheel, what I normally do is cut 5 bits of pushbike innertube into 1cm by 1.5cm bits and stick them to the backstops and squeeze the rubber cush drive rubbers back in, never had a problem doing this.

Like you say maybe the clutch just needs more exercise.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I pulled the clutch apart and well I don't know much about motorcycle clutches 😅

There are definitely some metal plates with discoloration and I suspect very slight warping and some of the friction plates, although in spec, have groves in them.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtWiS9_p6YMWgdB6yIZKm0p7DAEazQ?e=8nWwR6

Also, why is the very first friction plate in a different groove than the others?

Thanks,
R

1 - 7 of 7 Posts