Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i live in california, so you know how that goes. i see a lot of better deals in other states. or at least if you include other states, the selection is a lot higher!

anybody know if i buy a zx6r from outside of california and get it shipped over here, can i get it registered with the dmv? i know some bike models are produced with 49-states in mind and only the "special" 50-state emissions ones are shipped to cali... any idea about zx6r's? im mostly talkin about '03 and up...

·
Registered
94 Posts
I think in order to bring one over from another state it has to have like 2000 miles on it. I would check with the dmv though..

·
Registered
234 Posts
All the US ZX-6Rs are identical. My understanding from a coworker who has imported a bike just recently was it needs to have 7400mi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i found some info here which references the 7500mi phobos was talkin about:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29.htm

but it only refers to "new vehicles"... nothing about pre-owned or used.

maniac, thats what i thought... that cali models have different smog equipment in it to reduce emissions and that whole deal. i know if you look at some manufacturer websites, they list specs for the bike and specs for the same bike but in a cali trim... for example:

http://suzukicycles.com/Products/GSXR600K7/Specs/Default.aspx

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i took a photo of my roommates '05 yzf-r6's VIN sticker which SHOULD BE from cali (he bought it from a person from cali but its possible that original owner brought it in from out of state). here's what shows on the sticker:

doesnt say anything about california standards.

can anybody from california check their VIN sticker and see if it says anything about california emissions standards?? thanks! :smile

·
Registered
234 Posts
I realized what I wrote above was wrong. The California models have the charcoal filter box (the name of which escapes me but I think it is either KLEEN or PAIR). Anyway it is a filter box that connects to the fuel tank. That's the other difference. The California fuel tanks have two nipples underneath with hoses connected, other state bikes do not (unless they follow CA rules).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts