Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sportbikes are just becoming faster and getting more powerful. When you ride through a 15mph switchback turn in the hill country, it can only be taken so fast, no matter how powerful the bike is.

Our bikes are getting quicker, and yet the speed limit is not going up in the city.

Should more money be put into better stock suspensions rather than the horsepower? How much longer must we go before we finally come to a point and say we have too much power?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Advances are being made on suspension/brakes/geometries/tires, and I think it's great that an equivalent amt of technology improvement is being done for motors too.

Motors today are more powerful than ever before, but also more reliable, drivable, cleaner, and efficient. It's fantastic.

·
Registered
649 Posts
How much faster is an '07 versus an '01 or even older bike like a 1995???? Suspension quality and tires hold the key to going faster, unless you just ride in a straight line.

·
Registered
649 Posts
MotorCyclist mag '07 issue had an article on the new '07 cbr and the '87 Hurricane. The '07 has 7 more HP @ 6000rpm, 17 more @ 10,000rpm, and a whopping 37 on top end. Fun times.......:crazyloco

·
Registered
532 Posts
MotorCyclist mag '07 issue had an article on the new '07 cbr and the '87 Hurricane. The '07 has 7 more HP @ 6000rpm, 17 more @ 10,000rpm, and a whopping 37 on top end. Fun times.......:crazyloco

Actually not that much improvement over a 20 year period as one would have expected, if you compare this to the improvement that has taken place in F1!!

I fully believe that development must not stop, especially as this enhances the development of materials and manufacturing processes.

I think it will be magic to ride a 400cc developing 160hp weighing 120kg!!!!!!

One good thing is that tyre technology has really improved dramatically!

·
Registered
649 Posts
+1
I thought the same thing. It's kind of a mind blowing article!!!!! Take a look at the difference in cost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd have 5 bikes if they were that cheap!!!!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I like my bikes powerfull, but I think there's a limit for street use. With speedtraps on every corner and speedbumps in between it's no fun having a very powerfull, very fast bike. That's why I sold my ZX-12R and bought a Pan European.
I think the only manufacturer that's really meaningfull innovative is BMW with it's suspension control system, brake assist, etc, etc.

·
Premium Member
4,422 Posts
LOL bring on the power

·
Registered
582 Posts
Possibly. The 1955 AJS 500 twin I started with put about 36 bhp into around 400lb wet. The '06 ZX6r put out 130bhp into about the same wet weight.
But I do like the acceleration!

gammac

·
Registered
449 Posts
I think the bikes and technolegy are just fine,however I feel the training and quality of good riders is the problem. I am sick of seeing guys riding around with nike hats and flip-flops on always bumping their gums, the thing is these guys can't even ride man.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts