Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to get a new helm.
Interested in Arai Signet Q or Shoei RF-1100.
Color isn't important yet, more of options/safety/fit/etc.
They are pretty equally priced so I need a deal breaker.
The shoei is alittle more aggressive looking which I like.
Any opinions?

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
I think the helmet quality would be a wash.
You really need to try on each of them.
The only difference is the shield removal process. Some riders hate the Arai system. I've found it foolproof once I learned how to do it.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
I've pretty much been a Shoei guy.........tried others, not Arai though.

I do LIKE some of the "looks" of the Arai lids, just never bought one........

The shield removal on my Shoei RF1000 and RF1100 is easy............

Sorry, not much help I'm obviously biased!

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
Arais are a bit overpriced IMO, but they do make several shell shapes as well as sizes, so you may get an Arai to fit better than a Shoei. I went from a Shoei RF-1000, which I still have, to an Arai RX-7, which was crashed and retired. The Arai fit my head much better, but I got screamin' deal when I bought it. I just bought a Shoei Qwest to replace the Arai and it's the quietest helmet I've ever worn. With my noise-cancelling earbuds, there's ZERO wind noise until you exceed 50 mph.

·
Premium Member
4,944 Posts
Arais are a bit overpriced IMO, but they do make several shell shapes as well as sizes, so you may get an Arai to fit better than a Shoei. I went from a Shoei RF-1000, which I still have, to an Arai RX-7, which was crashed and retired. The Arai fit my head much better, but I got screamin' deal when I bought it. I just bought a Shoei Qwest to replace the Arai and it's the quietest helmet I've ever worn. With my noise-cancelling earbuds, there's ZERO wind noise until you exceed 50 mph.
Curious what earbuds you use?

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
Fit depends if you have a shoei head or an arai head.
+1 If you have a fat blockhead like me the Arai will fit better than the Shoei (fits egg-shaped heads better). I've owned both and this is the conclusion I've come to.

·
Registered
257 Posts
+1 If you have a fat blockhead like me the Arai will fit better than the Shoei (fits egg-shaped heads better). I've owned both and this is the conclusion I've come to.
Or you can be like me and be right in the middle, so either fit well. But personally I think arai is a bit overpriced, so next helmet for me will probably be a shoei.

·
Registered
69 Posts
both helmets are great.Have had both with no complaints you cant go wrong with either.

·
Premium Member
2,471 Posts
Or you can be like me and be right in the middle, so either fit well. But personally I think arai is a bit overpriced, so next helmet for me will probably be a shoei.
+1

I have an Arai astro j and a shoei 1100. Shoei has a little more chin space than the arai.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool thanks for the opinions.
I will give them both a try on.
I think the Shoei is a better looking helm, but the Arai has better paint.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have an older Signet /G and have longed looked at the Q model.

Very kool helmet indeed...

·
16,062 Posts
Looking to get a new helm.
Interested in Arai Signet Q or Shoei RF-1100.
Color isn't important yet, more of options/safety/fit/etc.
They are pretty equally priced so I need a deal breaker.
The shoei is alittle more aggressive looking which I like.
Any opinions?
Nothing anyone else posts, means a bag o' shit.

You have to try them both on and start with the one that fits YOUR head better.

No one can tell you which one that will be. Doesn't matter how much they love THEIR helmet.

You may end up with a completely different brand. Try them all on, don't look at the name.

·
Premium Member
13,117 Posts
Robert, the dude at Service Pavilion insists a helmet should be VERY tight when new so it stays snug when broken in, but that gives me a screaming headache, so I like mine to fit just a little loose. He said I should get a large instead of an XL, but I can't stand it that tight.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
I currently have a Shoei X12 and an Arai RX7 Corsair, I previously had a Shoei X11.

The most important thing is to try them both on and get the correct fit, it must be a snug fit. If that doesn't give you a clear winner, then I have the following comments.

The only disadvantage to the Arai is the shield system, it sucks. It is unbelievably difficult to master, and once mastered, it is still not easy to take off and put back on.

I live in the heat of southeast Texas, ventilation is extremely important to me, and both of these models have lots of it. One of the differences I find between the lower and upper models in either line is the number of ventilation ports, just be aware of that.

·
Premium Member
588 Posts
Robert, the dude at Service Pavilion insists a helmet should be VERY tight when new so it stays snug when broken in, but that gives me a screaming headache, so I like mine to fit just a little loose. He said I should get a large instead of an XL, but I can't stand it that tight.
I buy into the tight fit bit. I bought an HJC with a tight fit and it gave me a headache. I have had Shoei and Arai with tight fits and they do not give me a headache. I had no way of knowing ahead of time that the HJC tight fit would not work once on the bike for hours, it seemed fine at the store. Too bad for me that the less expensive model didn't work out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
helmet choice

The deal breaker is always going to be, when you put the lid on, how does it feel to YOU! You can go out and buy the best of the best brand name, top of the line helmet that's out, but if when you put it on, it doesn't feel or fit properly, you've wasted your money. Like a pair of shoes, try them on for fit and feel first.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts