Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aiight, as you guys may know, spring is upon us and summer is just around the corner so i decided to do some last minute maintence. I changed the spark plugs (gapped), air filter (uni) and put a little bit of carb cleaner into the carbs. i took a look under the cover where the diaphragm is located. the diaphragm was connected to the cover and carb itself but now it is only on the carb. i didnt think anything of it and went about my way.
Heres the problem: I go to start my bike and it does not start unless i give it throttle but once i let off the throttle, idle drops and dies (tried adjusting idle). Another thing is sputtering. There is also a loud noise on the right side of the engine. Once i get off the throttle, just that split second to change gears, the idle drops to below 1000 and i barely manage to get into gear before it dies (on freeway).
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check all of the hoses going to the airbox and gas tank. I'll bet that one of them came loose when you put everything back on.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hello NAMEL355, first never spray carb cleaner into the carbs without the diaphragm removed. I know some back yard mechanics will do this, but don't. It will eat the diaphragm.

The problem sounds like it's not getting enough fuel in one or two cylinders. The sound on the right side, does it sound like knocking? Take the plugs out one at a time and test if there is spark, or if the plug is wet.
It's a bit of a hassle, but you can take the airbox off and see if all the main jet needles are retracting (the throttlevalves, slider things are opening up) especially one on the right side.
And like Darin said, check all the fuel lines and air lines.

Good luck, Pete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts