Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the motorcycle scene, I am looking at getting a used 2006 Ninja ZX6R with 12k miles on it. Bike looks pretty clean and has a Jardine exhaust. I will be going to take a look at the bike soon, is there anything in specific I should be looking for other then the condition of the sprocket, chain and tires?

·
Registered
88 Posts
ye when you go look at it make sure its 100% cold so you can hear the engine, aftermarket levers and pegs usually means its been dropped. i always check the end of the levers to see if theres any scrapping marks on them. when riding at about 35 put it in 6th and give it full throttle to see if the clutch slips

·
Forum Leaders
19,944 Posts
aftermarket levers and pegs usually means its been dropped
I disagree with this part. Those are some of the most common mods on motorcycles, I wouldn't suspect the bike has been down because of those mods being on there. :dunno

Making sure the engine is cold upon start up is a must though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didn't know about the cold start, thanks for the tip! Is the clutch slipping a common issue or something just to check?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I disagree with this part. Those are some of the most common mods on motorcycles, I wouldn't suspect the bike has been down because of those mods being on there. :dunno

Making sure the engine is cold upon start up is a must though.
Mine are all aftermarket, and my bike has never been dropped. I would check for rash on the levers and pegs though.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I already got my bike but I never did the clutch thing. So all you do is put in 6th gear and then just go full throttle and what is suppose to happen?

And put it in 6th and go full throttle after the clutch it out or while your letting the clutch out?

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
I already got my bike but I never did the clutch thing. So all you do is put in 6th gear and then just go full throttle and what is suppose to happen?

And put it in 6th and go full throttle after the clutch it out or while your letting the clutch out?
:headscratch

when riding at about 35 put it in 6th and give it full throttle to see if the clutch slips
it seems clear to me

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry I guess I meant what happens if the clutch slips? ....Makes a sound or clank or explodes or what.

My first bike so I dont know what this means or maybe im an idiot lol.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
what happens if the clutch slips? ....Makes a sound or clank or explodes or what.

My first bike so I dont know what this means
RPM's will spool right up and you dont go any faster.

a slipping clutch is very very clear..... you will know when it happens

·
Registered
28 Posts
Alright ill go give it a try im sure I would have noticed by now though but I havent really gone full throttle yet so who knows.

The one thing I did notice on my bike is sometimes when im in first if I pull back pretty hard to get out into a street quickly sometimes it will feel like the bike loses some power then comes back and keeps going if I let off a bit but that hasnt happened in higher gears. Like my car when I dont feel up the gas tank.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Zx6r is way too much bike for a newbie. Try shooting for a ninja 250r for a few years instead.

This I disagree with but I really think it just depends on the rider. Even though a car is totally different then a bike the respect for a lot of power is still the same. Awareness on the road is still all the same basic principles.

I built my 08 charger with a 392 stroker with a 2.8L Kenne Bell blower with 12lbs of boost and drove it daily....it was a 750hp car to ground I would walk modded 636's from a 65mph rolling start. Kept up with my buddies dyno tuned 154hp CBR 1000.

All of my friends started on 600's, I know how to drive a stick and I know this isn't on the same level but I used my buddies pocket bike to practice the basic principle of using the throttle/clutch and shifting through gears. First time couple times on it I managed to pop a wheelie by accident but rode through it and glad I learned on a small bike then a 600 lol.

Again it comes down to the rider but I am not one to hop on a bike and start riding like a pro....I will probably spend more time during the first couple weeks riding around the block then anything.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts