Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read alot of the ZX14 guys have removed theirs and it made a BIG difference on their 14's. Wondering if this would be the same for ours?

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have

I have them removed on my zx14. I warn, do not do this without fitting Power Commander and no flies map or the bike will run lean. What hasn't the GTR got enough torque down low for you already?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is there ever enough? If its a free upgrade that makes a difference then I'm prob. going to do it when I get the PC and pipe.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Here's a quick and easy mod....
If the Connie is using the same air filter as the 14, then you can clip away that metal mesh atop the filter element to gain another 3 hp.

Flies out...uh yup, I done it just to see if the effects would mirror the ZX14...answer = yes it does. I didn't get a chance to run on the dyno for an A/F check, but as mentioned -- it's probably pretty lean. It was run for a quick jam session around my neighborhood. They are back in and awaiting a dyno run in full stock mode at Dale Walker's shop (Holeshot) once his exhaust is produced.

Dyno runs will entail:
1) Stock mode
2) + Holeshot exhaust
3) + Holeshot exhaust + free flowing collector
4) + Holeshot exhaust + free flowing collector + modified stock air filter
5) + Holeshot exhaust + free flowing collector + modified stock air filter + flies out
6) + Holeshot exhaust + free flowing collector + modified stock air filter + flies out + TFI or DJ PC III custom map

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thx for the info. I had a feeling it would make a big difference. I just don't like the idea of the factory limiting the hp and tq to try and make the bike safer. I want the hp and tq I paid for, then its up to me to control it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
gtr_1965 thanks for all you're going to do!

I'm going to head over to my Honda shop this weekend hopefully for a quick dyno run with about 400 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've read alot of the ZX14 guys have removed theirs and it made a BIG difference on their 14's. Wondering if this would be the same for ours?
What does removing them do to drivability? What are they there for anyway?

·
Registered
33 Posts
What does removing them do to drivability? What are they there for anyway?
To keep from throwing your S.O. off the back when you wick it a little to much in first and second. :evil No really I took them out of my ZX-14 and you better not catch them off guard because what it does to bottom end torque is unbelievable. I just loved it and will do it to this one when somebody comes out with a programed PC. Come on Brock!!!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Can't you get a custom map for the PCIII to match your upgrades?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Brock made one(customed tuned PC) for the ZX-14 that worked flawless. If he doesn't come out with one for this bike you'll have to wait until power commander comes out with one, do you mods then put it on the dyno and load in a custom map. What I don't know is if this Variable Cam Timing is going to be a problem with the tuners.:headscratch

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got an email in to Power Commander to see when they think the unit will be ready. I was thinking it was already out, that puts a damper in my plans.

·
Registered
228 Posts
It is out i'm sure my local goodies shop had one in (or at least said he did).

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I just looked it up on the Two Brothers site and it says they have it. Wierd that the Power Commander site lists it as 'Coming Soon'. Waiting on an email response from both to see if I can get it or not.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just got an email response from Dynojet, they started shipping the units out last week. Should be in the local shops this week.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Okay They're Pulled

OK I went for it and pulled my flies. Seemed easier than the zx14 I did. As long as you heat up the screws first with a soldering iron and use #2 Phillips long shafted screwdriver. Man that thing unleashes some torque now. As big a difference as with the zx14 when I removed them. PC111 coming now and re map. Also block off plates so I don't get popping from the two brothers pipe. K&N anyone? Still haven't got one on my zx14 grrrr.:rant

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet! How lean do you think the bike is running now? It's been pretty hot (mid to upper 90's) here and I don't want to run the bike real lean. I'll prob. just wait 'til I get the PC and map.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would put it on a dyno a reset the fuel curve, because the fuel curve from dynojet is not going to be set for fly removal, and you'll have way more power across the board.(and no lean conditions) This in my opinion is extremly important for motor life and performance.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I ran my ZX14 for a month before I got the PClll. Lean at 4000rpm but not much so I don't sit on 4000rpm.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts