Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
[I have a 92 zx7r that used to be a turbo conversion. I pulled off the turbo and went back to carbs.

The previous owner tapped into the block in two places in order to feed/return oil to the turbo and I need to get some advise as to:

A) Which of the taps is a feed and which is a return.

B) There is a welded tube tapped into the oilpump block casting and I dont know what will happen if I block it off....

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Will post pics of the tapped areas soon.

-Thomas
Pics are here--->http://s1066.photobucket.com/albums/u402/ttdolson/

I can try to explain the pics if you need any clarification. The pic with the tube hanging down is with the oilpan removed. It was fed directly into the AN fitting exiting the pan in the prior pics. The tube is sealed off from the oilpan area with an O-ring.

I want to cap the tube, but i'm worried that its a sump and the tube volume might cause cavitation?

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Normally if one wanted a turbo feed or gauge hookup you go off the plug near the OEM oil pressure sender.

As for returns there are a few different ways to do it. You'll have to show pics of the current setup.

Josh

·
Premium Member
6,535 Posts
post pictures of what you have. I'll try to help you out. I'm on the road for work so I can't guarantee when I'll be back online, but I will try to check daily.

·
Registered
199 Posts
You post pictures by creating an account on photobucket.com Then you upload your pictures to there and then copy the IMG code from the drop down, like in this picture:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
im no where near an expert on turbo motors but as an educated guess, id be willing to bet that the welded pipe into your oil pump would reduce the output pressure off the main rotor on the oil pump (for what reason its there to begin with im not aware of, maybe someone else can give you more info on why).

The line from the bottom of the the turbo to the oil pan appears to be your return line, and it has a shutoff valve to keep oil in the turbo after shutdown until the turbo spools down (im guessing, i know you have to let semi's idle for a minute before shutting down so the turbo can spool down to prevent damage).

Judging from the picture id say the pressure line is coming off the oil cooler to the turbo

hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts