Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just changed my oil using Kawasaki oil and I hate it. I get clutch drag like no other, shifting sucks, and my shift shaft seems to stick. Anyone else have issues with this oil?

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Do you have problems taking off too? I use Kawasaki oil. I am not sure to be honest.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
13,202 Posts
I've heard good things about Kawachem synthetic, but nothing one way or the other about their petro oil. I bought a qt. of Kawachem on a trip once for topping off, but I've never used it for a full oil change. I am hesitant to use branded products of unknown origin. I know Harley riders who will put nothing but "Harley Davidson" branded oil in their bikes. None of them has ever been able to tell me who makes it or what's in it.

If it doesn't work in your bike, get it out of there and tell your friends how crappy it is. These companies all need to have their feet held to the fire over the products they buy and stick their name on.

I had similar issues with Amsoil, so I went back to Mobil 1 4T.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
I know that when my bike it hot, it does not take off right. I will rev to 2k or so as I do not want to launch or take off smooth and she feels she will die and can the sounds are odd too it makes. Not sure how much synthetic is. What about oil filter too?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not having any accel issues just my shifting sucks and the clutch drags bad.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Drag as it when your at 2k rpms it feels like it will die and makes a rattling noise that sounds like the lifters are clicking?
When taking off.

·
sénior BBQ Master
22,270 Posts
I am running it now. No issues. Been about 1000 miles now.

·
Premium Member
11,231 Posts
I've heard good things about Kawachem synthetic, but nothing one way or the other about their petro oil. I bought a qt. of Kawachem on a trip once for topping off, but I've never used it for a full oil change. I am hesitant to use branded products of unknown origin. I know Harley riders who will put nothing but "Harley Davidson" branded oil in their bikes. None of them has ever been able to tell me who makes it or what's in it.

If it doesn't work in your bike, get it out of there and tell your friends how crappy it is. These companies all need to have their feet held to the fire over the products they buy and stick their name on.

I had similar issues with Amsoil, so I went back to Mobil 1 4T.
Branded oils are made by the lowest bidder that can meet their (usually) lax requirements as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Kawa oil is in the middle rating. Wich one are you using? 10w40? API grade?
When new, not so bad. When ran hot for over 1,000 miles, as any, looses some ZDDP (not by chopping at gear mesh (sigh), but depleted by melting the zinc and phosphorous combination when above 125 degrees Celsius under high pressure, wich the oil gets as on piston base around pin area) and so, get stiffer shifting. Maybe you're running a bit lean in some cylinder, causing that depletion. Installing an EGT probe would tell you the one running hotter, but you have to adapt the probe on exhaust manifold. I know you can do it. 20W50 is shitter for starting but withstand better such heat condition.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Egt probe? How do I put it on and where to get it?

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah clap thats whats going on. Ozzy Yes I am using 10w40 API. Cheap $21/gallon stuff. I should have went with Motul.....

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Kitty, I am having the same problem as well. I might switch to synthetic. After I do my valve check/job.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Egt probe? How do I put it on and where to get it?

JPI INSTRUMENTS, Co.

·
Premium Member
3,675 Posts
Thank you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts