Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum, so bare with me. I own a 2000 ZX-6R ninja. Unfortunately I laid it down at 65 mph 2 weekends ago. Miraculously the dealer says I have suffered no catastrophic mechanical damages. BUT I do need to replace all my plastics. :banghead

OKAY, so heres the deal. I REALLY like the body styling of the 636's. I was wondering if anybody has ever moded and placed newer model fairings on a late model bike before?!? I am specifically interested in the tail section of an 03'-04' 636 to be moded to fit my '00 ZX-6R. There would be to many alterations needed to try to fit the front plastics of a 636 to my late model '00.

The dealer says it can be done, but they would charge me an arm and a leg for the work of measuring, cutting, and adjusting some mounting hardware so the 636 tail would fit on my 6R. ANYONE PLEASE, suggestions, comments, criticisms, anything... just looking for some insight... wanna get my bike back on the road ASAP.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay... So my dealer has still not gotten back to me on the possibility of mounting 636 plastics on my '00 6R frame... BUT, I had another idea. Going to Kawasaki's homepage and looking up the two models frames and subframes in the parts catalog it looks like there is a great difference from the '00-02 subframes and the '03-04 636 subframes. So maybe plastic mount modifications are out, but what about mounting a 636 subframe to my '00 ZX-6R?!? It looks as if it is a more viable possibility than altering plastics and plastic mounts. Somebody out there HAS to have an opinion, or know of somebody who's tried this or at least thought of it?? Any input would be MUCH appreciated. :dunno

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
THANK YOU EKOOG82!!! This is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I was just looking for confirmation from someone that it was "do-able" with relative ease and affordability.... you delivered with a step-by-step picture tutorial!!! I am extremely grateful to you sir!

·
Registered
63 Posts
not a problem, that was info that was given to me so i just passed it along. let me know how it goes, and if you dont mind where you find the parts and things like that. i have an 01 zx6r that i want to do the same thing to. good luck!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Will do! and thanks again! Once I get started into this project I will try to do the same as that other thread. I will try and document everything step by step. I am rather meticulous, so hopefully once I get rolling it will be easy to follow.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was toying with making up my own solo cowl. I like the style on the new 6's, but the ones offered fo my 2000 look retarded.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree about the solo covers for our late model '00 ZX-6R's. They do look like crap, and are waaaay to expensive to be looking like crap. I've also thought about making my own cowl. I've seen some threads somewhere where people do it with fiberglass resin, fiberglass cloth, and bondo. With some time, fine sanding, and new paint they looked pretty decent.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, so this project is gonna be somewhat slow to get off the ground. I found a mint condition 636 subframe with tray off ebay for $130, and I just bought a cheetah after market 636 tail cowling from hyperformance.com for $183. These parts aren't expected in for like 2-3 weeks... which blows, but for the price I guess its worth the wait. I still need to purchase a 636 seat, possibly some hardware, and an undertail. STILL waiting on getting my bike back from my dealer! Will keep this thread posted once I get things really rolling on the tailswap.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay... so I have a 636 seat and undertail now... and got the bike back from the dealership.... going to start pulling stuff apart as I find the free time... will keep this page posted with updates and hopefully many pics...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mmmk... so the project is moving along fast now that I have all parts in... CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO POST PICS ON HERE SO I CAN SHOW THIS PROJECT TO YOU ALL!?!?? I have my pics on my hard drive, I don't know how to make them a URL to post?!?? If anyone knows, please let me know... I'm kinda a newb in the forum world. Hey thank, eh.

·
Registered
462 Posts
www.photobucket.com

create an account here, upload any and all images, then post them everywhere on the web for the world to see. i'm excited to see your work. anything "custom" on a sportbike is f'in sweet. can't wait man.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OMFG... yeah... I'm retarded... thanks guys... I totally shoulda thought photobucket... man I've been putting in 60 hours or more a week at work, doing online graduate level classes, and doing my bike project.... my brain sometimes just is somewhere else... thank you much for the links... I will get to posting my pics sometime this weekend... prolly tommorow afternoon sometime... thanks again, eh

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Aright... I guess to start this off I'd just like to say that for those of you who end up attempting this that I in no way shape or form will accept responsibilities for any injuries or damages sustained during or resluting from this project. It is a choice you make yourself, and the risks you take are your own. I am not a certified bike mechanic, fabricator, etc... I am a bike enthusiast and that is all. This is only for reference purposes in hopes that it will provide a detailed account of the processes in which I took to modify my 2000 ZX-6R into a Frankenstein of a 6R-636. Okay with that out of the way. I started off purchasing parts, mainly off of e-bay because of how cheap you can get them. I got a 636 subframe for about $190, and a 636 battery tray for about $30. I also needed to purchase a 636 front(driver) seat since my old 6R seat does not accommodate the 636 subframe. I also purchased an integrated undertail, integrated tail light, passenger seat cowl, and the rear seat mounting hardware. Once all that arrived I started taking apart the bike. I laid my bike down so I am replacing all my plastics along with this tail swap project in case anyone was wondering why I had all the plastics off. I was lucky, it was only cosmetic damage. Anyways, here goes...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
[/IMG]

So this is my ZX-6R with no plastics and the tank removed. If you have never done any body work on your bike, it's very simple and easy. Everything comes off with a 10mm socket and a 5 mm alan key.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
[/IMG]

Now I have removed the fender so its just the subframe. I have also detached the junction box, turn signal assembly, and signal wires. A service manual can walk you through this with ease.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
[/IMG]

Now a pic of the bike with the stock subframe removed. Yeah, my garage is TINY... haha... I also removed my D&D pipe so it wouldn't be hanging, and so it wouldn't get scratched...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts