Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been searching for a few hours and cant seem to find a solid answer on how to read this engine serial number. I really need to know what year the motor is to order parts. Only luck has been how to read the vin which mine has a special construction title so that dont help. :bangheadZX7500e001065:banghead

·
6,664 Posts
Good luck my friend. I have been trying to find this for a couple years. I have compared engine serial numbers across years of ZX7s and they are all over the place. I have asked a couple Kawi dealers and some of the race builders. No answers.

91-93 motors all take the same gaskets and many of the parts are common. The biggest difference is the compression is lower and cams are smaller on the J model (91-92 non-R model).

They changed the cases in 94-95 to be a common casting with the ZX9R, although the bearing sizes from the 7 to the 9 are different. So all is common in the motor on 94-95 except the transmission is different on the R model. It is easy to spot a 94-95 case as there are two "donuts" on the front of the cases used as motor mounts on the ZX9R chassis. The two donuts are on the front of the motor, just above the parting line of the cases.

96+ parts are all the same except the R model has different cases with extra webbing and a different transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Been searching for a few hours and cant seem to find a solid answer on how to read this engine serial number. I really need to know what year the motor is to order parts. Only luck has been how to read the vin which mine has a special construction title so that dont help. :bangheadZX7500e001065:banghead
The way Kawasaki designates their engine casting numbers are ZX750 (this is self explanatory) followed by the model (H,J,K,L,M or N) and then a numerical sequence. I cannot figure out why yours is an O unless it has to do with the special construction but that should not involve changing the engine numbers.
:headscratch

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The way Kawasaki designates their engine casting numbers are ZX750 (this is self explanatory) followed by the model (H,J,K,L,M or N) and then a numerical sequence. I cannot figure out why yours is an O unless it has to do with the special construction but that should not involve changing the engine numbers.
:headscratch
No serial number is not modified ill double check it maybe i read it wrong. I still have the fairings on the not that easy to make out lol.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I believe Kawasaki used the ZX750J for engine serial numbers designation from 1991 to at least 1994 on L models. Not completely sure about the 95 models which they carried the J designation or were stamped L

Josh

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Talked to a friend who works for Kawasaki Canada and he said that the engine numbers are very hard to pinpoint to a specific year because they overlap if there is no changes. We tried tracing my 7R and 7RR (both 1996) and the engine numbers both begin with ZX750N... Maybe try posting up a few photos on this forum and tap into the knowledge of everyone here to try and figure it out.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Talked to a friend who works for Kawasaki Canada and he said that the engine numbers are very hard to pinpoint to a specific year because they overlap if there is no changes. We tried tracing my 7R and 7RR (both 1996) and the engine numbers both begin with ZX750N... Maybe try posting up a few photos on this forum and tap into the knowledge of everyone here to try and figure it out.
Ok thanks. Ill take her clothing off this weekend lol and take some good pictures of the motor.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hey Guys, I see that this is an old thread. However, Ninja Nut did you ever get down to the bottom of engine number issue? As I am having this issue now. I have a '98 w/ an over-heated motor, and I have just bought a replacement from a '96 and am having a hell of a time researching any info on this motor. As the case with 2000kawzx-12r, the 7th position in the sequence is not a number but a letter; the letter "E". Zx750NE... Any clarity on this is appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
What clarity are you looking for? The P model engine numbers will be very similar from 96-03 other than the production sequence (last 6 digits). They are nearly impossible to figure out exactly.

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Just tried with my engine numbers and nothing. Doesn’t seem to have motorcycles. Tried the 5 I currently have and no results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts