Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I change the oil in my zx6r and change the filter its almost impossible for it to build oil pressure. Only after a long time it did.
If I dont change the filter its fine.

Any ideas??

·
Registered
381 Posts
Wrong oil filter maybe? or maybe the oil weight is too thick.

·
Registered
28 Posts
nismosaki said:
When I change the oil in my zx6r and change the filter its almost impossible for it to build oil pressure. Only after a long time it did.
If I dont change the filter its fine.

Any ideas??
Do you Pre-fill your filter???

It takes longer for the oil pump to build pressure through the filter if the filter is dry. :wink :wink

·
Registered
183 Posts
thats exactly what i was about to suggest....it gets you back on the road alot faster if you fill the filter when changing the oil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I pre-fill the filter let it soak in and fill up more. I can understand it taking a bit longer but it takes a LONG time!!!

I think I am going to try a different filter next time!

Thanks guys!

:D

·
Registered
28 Posts
What year bike do you have and how many miles???

OEM or aftermarket filter???

how long is a "long time" for the oil pressure to build ????

Im assuming your talking about an oil indicator light, or do you have an oil pressure guage???

Just thinking ahead here in case your change of filters doesn't solve the problem. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thats a lot of questions :)
I have a 2000 with 23000 km, long time being run it till its hot shut down and cool then run it till its hot again again and again for almost 2 hrs.
Yes I have an indicator light. Only happens when the oil filter is taken off. Aftermarket filter has always been on it.

!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Unscrew the filter just a tad with the bike running to vent the air bubble in the filter and help prime it. Just a little bit though and be prepared to screw it back quickly.

This is a common issue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Pisser said:
Unscrew the filter just a tad with the bike running to vent the air bubble in the filter and help prime it. Just a little bit though and be prepared to screw it back quickly.

This is a common issue.
Good to know....

I was not familiar with that little quirk. Is that only for that year or where there others??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts