Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I miss my Bridgestone BT010, but with reluctancy I swapped over to the BT014 and loved them! Now I just read in the latest issue of Cycle World that the BT015's are due out. They are stock on the 2006 Honda CBR 1000RR.

Anyone seen/read any reviews on these? Specifically, what changes compared to the 014??

·
Registered
604 Posts
Here's some opinion's that i found on the tires.....

- The Dunlop D209GP's are claimed to be very very good. However i dont know if they are also that good on the street. The Bridgestone's BT015 (specially made for Fireblade '06) are good too. Try em out if you have money to spare

- "Mick the Tyre Magician" who IS Motor Trade Machionists in Goodna. I've been there at least once a fortnight for the last 12 months. I dont even choose my tyres any more He can tell what type of rider i am & have been doing at a glance. I just rock up with my Lunch & a lantern & say Mick Whatyareckon mate ... between 2-7 hours later i know exactly what his opinion is & Why. Then i get to find out how they feel on the road.
He hasn't been wrong yet. I've had OEM pilot roads, Bridgestone 014/020 combo (both pre Mick). pair of 014, pair of 012SS(Snowie Trip to PI), second hand pair of Pirelli Corsers(thanks Strawbs), Front 012SS Rear pilot race(snowie Trip to PI) n currently have the Shinko Stealth 003's. Oh then theres my Workhack/track bike with a pilot power/ 014 combo & Janelle's zxr400. Also the Brissie locals such as Rusty(got a front power today from Mick), Barrabob, Greenmeanie, Yappa, Jonno, me best mates Blade & a coupla other blokes who dont use Ksrc to vouch for My Version of Micks opinions.

- Stick with the BT014's. The OEM tires are likely different than the commercially available tires of the same model... for what reason I don't know, but that seems to be the general opinion of most people.

Anyways, replace them with BT014's. They rock on the street and on the track.

Road Racing world recently did a 22 page blind tire test among all the top tires. One tire from each manufacturer.

Pirelli Diablo Corsa, Dunlop 208 GPA, Metzeler M1, Continental CF Max, Michelin Pilot Power, Bridgestone BT014, Maxxis Supermaxx and Avon Azaros.

In the subjective ratings, the BT014's scored 3rd behind the Dunlop GPA's and Michelin Pilot Powers. Subjective ratings being how they 'felt' to the rider. The hurting score for the bridgestones is that they were 'stiff' and had poor bump absorbtion (you feel everything under the bike).

In the objective ratings, the BT014's scored 1st with the fastest lap times around the Oak Hill Raceway.

My bike (a big heavy Z1000) came stock with BT012's (190 rear) and when I changed tires I went with the BT014's (down to a 180 rear).

I've done 5 track days this year, 4 of them in the Intermediate or Renegade group. I'm always the fastest guy there on street tires (and usually the only guy on street tires in the higher level groups). Most guys at Shannonville Motorsports Park run Pirelli Dragon Supercorsas and I consistently keep up with 90% of the people in my group without any scary moments.

They're more than adequate for the street. I ride generally conservatively on the street with respect to high speeds. I rarely get involved in any stupid cannonball style freeway runs upto 160mph and I don't do burnouts or wheelies... I have been getting 9500kms out of my BT014's with 2-3 track days thrown in. I run 35/35 psi on the street... 30/29 psi on the track.

- After two sessions learning the circuit, we were allowed to stiffen the suspension from the standard settings and it really helped with the composure of the bike overall. And then in the afternoon sessions, to really see what the bike was made of, Bridgestone BT002 race tyres were fitted to the bike.
The specially-made BT015 road tyres had done everything asked of them up to this point. But the grip that the race tyres offered was in another league and allowed you push the bike much, much harder than before.

Nothing spesific but some thought's on what people think about the now tyre's!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just saw an accident

Yesterday afternoon, I saw an accident of a guy on a motorcycle with this type of tire. He was riding on Hwy 1, the Talimena Scenic route, in eastern Oklahoma. I don't think he was going too fast and there was no rain or slickness on the road, but the curve he took was very steep and winding. He lost traction going down a steep slope with about a 13% grade and his bike started sliding out of control. He was very fortunate he was not killed. He hit a guard rail and the bike bounced back and laid itself down in the road, destroying the front forks and crushing the radiator.

I would say tires like this are not suitable for riding on dangerous terrain like this.:scared

·
Registered
432 Posts
My 9R is presently on Pirelli Corsas, while the ZZ-R1200 is shod with their Stradas. This is the first time I've used Pirellis in more than 20 years [ preveiously on my endurance racebike] , still preferring instead, the magnificent Avon AV46/AV50 combo. Although I must confess, They did impress me on a recent excursion to the Georgia/North Carolina mountain back roads for a long weekend of serious threshing. They did perform admirably on the 600+miles/950km ride there as well...with more than 4 hours of near torrential rain thrown in for laughs. Before anyone asks how I could ride two bikes at the same time, a visiting friend from the UK was riding one of my bikes..we swapped at refueling stops. He too owns a 9R, of 1998 vintage..and a 2002 ZZ-R1200 to boot. By the way, he too was impressed with the levels of performance provided by the Pirellis.

My Z1000 has been fitted with Avons since 4,000 miles, at which mileage it's OE Dunlops were all but useless. The bike came alive on the new rubber..well not so new..they have some 8,000miles/13,000 on them now and are nearing life's end. The Z is a marvellous 'city bike' pr 'hooligan bike', but hardly capable of what a 9R can deliver when hurled into a corner or taken to the 'big end', so it's choice of rubber is less critical. Still, I've found it really likes Avon over Dunlop.

Personally, I'm not impressed by the performance of either Dunlop or Bridgestone...especially at triple digits [ mph ] in the wet. In fact, when ridden near my limits on less than straight secondary roads, I've found them to be less than confidenc einspiring. Throw a bit of wet, irregular pavement at the apex, well then the event approaches horrific status.

Some claim they find the Conti's to work well at extreme levels of cornering...with the trade off of greatly accelerated rates of wear...numbers of 2-3000 miles have been mentioned by more than a few, and for me that is completely unacceptable.

In summary, I strongly recommend Avons. With them one has the capacity to meet, or easily exceed the Dunlop's or Bridgestone's levels of performance [ depending on their own riding ability of course ] while expecting mileage/kms of as much as 10,000/16,000 . With all this being true, I however cannot utter a word of cricisim about the Pirellis...based on recent experience, they do seem to equal what Avon offers. Several others I have known have seen mileages of more that 12,000 from theirs..that translates to near 20,000km. Absolutely fantastic, although I seriously doubt I'll approach that number.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I put the Michelin Power Race (soft compound) on my ZX6R for doing trackdays and they are amazing, but having said that, this past sunday a guy on a new ZX6R with Bridgestone BT015's left me behind and I was really going well, got the front tyre to the lip, and that takes some doing!

What I trying to say is that those BT015's are very competent tyres!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts