Kawasaki Ninja ZX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any ideas?
Riding to work this morning in heavy traffic( stop and go). after sitting at idle at around 1k rpm's then accelerating softly and going back to idle, my idle speed would drop to apx. 500rpm's. after giving it a bit of gas it would level out. it did this 2 times then the idle dropped and killed the motor. i attempted to fire her back up, got sputters for two tries then got it to light up for just a second and it revved to 4k and i let it come back to idle and it died. only change recently was a k&n A/F.

is it probably just flooded ( can't tell now had to run to work, will check back at lunch)? only one exhaust smelled lightly of fuel. has anone experienced this? i am not sure when the plugs were changed. that is going to be checked this after noon

·
Registered
990 Posts
Check you didn't block or pinch up the fuel tank breather when you were changing the filter

Try opening the filler cap when you have the problems. If it starts & runs fine then the breather is the most likely problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
checked back at lunch and it fired right up, just smelled of raw fuel badly for a minute. checked it in the shop at work and it was flooded and it did actually turn out that it was the breather. and it didn't help that the plugs needed changing lol. its back to perfect now. thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
My ZX11 was jacked up like that to. I rebuilt all the carbs, turned out the plugs were trashed...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Mine was acting up over the Minnesota winter as I stabilized the gas and would start it every few weeks and eventually I fouled the plugs, it was a bit of a turd but it was also quite obvious what was happening, steady decline in spark plug quality. My old high school shop teacher used to say "start with the obvious stuff and don't skip a step or you'll be tearing apart a good engine"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts